Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Andrew Collins <AS...@blueridgeeyemd.com> on 2014/11/22 17:38:35 UTC

Windows server fax

I am using an electronic medical record system that generates an OpenOffice document for printing off exam records. When I send it through the Windows server fax a .tif file is attached but nothing shows up in the preview or goes over the fax except for the cover page.
I don't know if there is just no compatibility or if there is a setting in OpenOffice or in the Windows Fax that I need to change to make this work.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Andrew Collins

Andrew Collins MD
Blue Ridge Opthalmology, 626 Berkmar Circle, Charlottesville, VA 22901
W 434.295.3227
F 434.295.9527
asc@blueridgeeyemd.com

Re: Windows server fax

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 11/22/2014 08:38 AM, Andrew Collins wrote:
> I am using an electronic medical record system that generates an
> OpenOffice document for printing off exam records. When I send it
> through the Windows server fax a .tif file is attached but nothing
> shows up in the preview or goes over the fax except for the cover
> page. I don't know if there is just no compatibility or if there is a
> setting in OpenOffice or in the Windows Fax that I need to change to
> make this work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> -Andrew Collins
>
> Andrew Collins MD Blue Ridge Opthalmology, 626 Berkmar Circle,
> Charlottesville, VA 22901 W 434.295.3227 F 434.295.9527
> asc@blueridgeeyemd.com

Recommend that you should investigate what the Windows Fax server uses
for default document input type -- again maybe .doc, .odt, .pdf?

Once you know this, you will then need to investigate what document
format is generated by the medical record system. You say it generates
an "OpenOffice" document but in what format -- .odt? .doc? The document
type output will need to be compatible with what the FAX server wants as
input.

Many FAX servers are happy with either .doc or .pdf formats. The FAX
server could be generating or telling you it's sending ".tif" because it
doesn't recognize the input type and it defaults to sending an image
format if it can't determine input document type.