Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net> on 2005/12/01 17:28:37 UTC

Re: Repost:- Accessing an array from within a JSP

Mon Cab wrote:
> Sorry. The formatting was messed up on my first post.  Hopefully this
> is better
>
> I am trying to define a string array as a property of DynaValidatorForm
> in my struts config file and then access that array from within a JSP
> but am getting an incompatible types error when trying to do this.
> My frorm bean definition is as follows:
>
> <form-bean
>    name="myDynaActionForm"
>    type="org.apache.struts.validator.DynaValidatorForm">
> <form-property
>    name="string_array"
>    type="java.lang.String[]"/>
> </form-bean>
>
> In my JSP (MyJSP.jsp) I wrote:
>
> <bean:define
>    id="string_array"
>    name="myDynaActionForm"
>    property="string_array"/>
> <%@ include file="Nested.jsp" %>
>
> And then in my Nested.jsp I tried to access the array as follows:
>
> Object [] stringArray = string_array;
>
> When I try load the page I get the following error (written to
> stdout.log):
>
> An error occurred at line: 6 in the jsp file: /Nested.jsp
> Generated servlet error:
>
> C:\Tomcat Home\MyJSP_jsp.java:211: incompatible types
> found   : java.lang.Object
> required: java.lang.Object[]
> Object [] stringArray = string_array;
>
> Am I doing this wrong? How should I be doing this?

Did you try specifying the 'type' attribute in your bean:define tag? Not
sure if that's the problem, but it might help. Or, perhaps, an explicit
cast on the assignment in your scriptlet code.

L.

Re: Repost:- Accessing an array from within a JSP

Posted by Mon Cab <fu...@yahoo.com>.
Lauri

I did an explicit cast and it worked.  Thanks so much.