Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andrew Miehs <an...@2sheds.de> on 2006/05/03 17:08:16 UTC

Using Tomcat as a reverse proxy

Re: Using Tomcat as a reverse proxy

Posted by Andrew Miehs <an...@2sheds.de>.
Thanks Tim,
Thanks Peter,

I have been looking all day, and only found entries for how to use
mod_proxy
to connect to tomcat - rather than the other way around!

Will definitely have a look at these!

Thanks again,

Andrew

PS: Have you ever compared running (mod_proxy|mod_jk)+apache+tomcat
versus
just running tomcat?! We doubled our requests per second by throwing
away
Apache. The HTTP connector in Tomcat 5.0/ 5.5 is actually REALLY usable.

(And besides - I use lighttpd and not Apache) :-)

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
See http://j2ep.sourceforge.net/

-Tim

Posted by Andrew Miehs <an...@2sheds.de>.
Dear Chris,

I am well aware of this - which is why I said it is NORMALLY the
other way around.
In our case though, our static content - images, etc are handled by
stand alone
image servers - ie: image.mydomain.com and our dynamic content comes
from www.mydomain.com.

I have the issue that I have a few things hosted externally from my
servers that need to
be reachable under www.mydomain.com/mypath . These make about 0.1% of
my total requests to
www.mydomain.com - and therefore makes very little sense to include
the latency of Apache
or Squid as a reverse proxy in front of the tomcats...

Thats why my question - Does anyone know of a reverse proxy that I
can install in tomcat.

Thanks

Andrew

Posted by Chris Berthold <cb...@styleline.com>.
The Apache web server already has this functionality built in using
mod_proxy.  I would think Tomcat would not be well suited for doing this
sort of task. Apache is going to be much more I/O efficient and has been
tested and debugged for a VERY long time.

Chris Berthold
IT Systems Analyst
Commercial Refrigerator Door Company
941 . 371 . 8110 x 205