Posted to repository@apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> on 2006/07/18 06:14:33 UTC

New location for Maven repositories on people.apache.org

(Please reply to repository@apache.org and ensure you drop the Cc to
committers@apache.org)

The maven repositories on people.apache.org can now be found at the
following paths:

   /www/people.apache.org/repo/m1-snapshot-repository
   /www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository
   /www/people.apache.org/repo/m1-ibiblio-rsync-repository
   /www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository

(previous paths were:
   /www/people.apache.org/repository
   /www/people.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository
   /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository
   /www/www.apache.org/dist/maven-repository
)

Apart from fixing up the previously random names, this moves the
repositories for syncing to ibiblio (currently a manual task that Carlos
Sanchez Gonzalez (carlos) is taking care of) out of the ASF mirror
directories.

One important change that this leads to is that you NO LONGER NEED TO
DELETE from the ibibilio rsync repositories. These will one day be the ASF
Maven repository once we've figured out how we can handle hosting that
bandwidth wise.

For the snapshot repositories, there are currently symlinks in place so
that the various CI systems that deploy to them don't fall over. Please
update these and let us know at repository@apache.org that you're pointing
to the new path.

Thanks,

Hen

Re: New location for Maven repositories on people.apache.org

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Yup.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Brett,

On Aug 11, 2006, at 4:55 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> I'd suggest if you want to make the JARs available as official
> distributions, but still separate from the zips, then you should copy
> them into:
> http://www.apache.org/dist/db/jdo/2.0/
> as well and link to the normal mirroring system.

Thanks for the advice. Now that we know what's happening we can make
some decisions.

Regards,

Craig

> Cheers,
> Brett
>
> On 12/08/06, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
>> Hi Henry,

>> mirrors?
>> >
>> > They're not on the mirrors anymore. There were no reasons to
>> have the
>> > repositories on the mirrors given that they only existed for
>> rsyncing
>> > up to ibiblio and not as usable repositories themselves.
>>
>> But where are they on ibiblio? I can't find them. They used to be in
>> "java-repository" at http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/apache/
>> java-repository.
>>
>> So maybe they are no longer available as separate downloads, but
>> available only by maven?
>>
>> We used to publish the jar files as maven artifacts that could be
>> downloaded directly by a user by following a link to a mirror site.
>> Or maven could fetch them all by itself.
>>
>> Our .cgi script contained e.g.
>> jdo2-api-2.0.jar">jdo2-api-2.0.jar</a>
>> [<a href="http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/javax.jdo/jars/
>> jdo2-api-2.0.jar.asc">PGP</a>]
>> [<a href="http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/javax.jdo/jars/
>> jdo2-api-2.0.jar.md5">MD5</a>]
>>
>> So I'm still confused.

>> just
>>
>> And I'm now on the repository@ alias.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Craig

>> date.

>> step

>> > Unless anyone does it first, I'll have a go at updating them.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Hen
>>
>> Craig Russell
>> jdo
>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
>> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!
>>

> --
> Apache Maven - http://maven.apache.org
> "Better Builds with Maven" book - http://library.mergere.com/

Craig Russell

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Brett,

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi Craig,

Fwd: New location for Maven repositories on people.apache.org

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Michelle,

It looks like the java-repository is no longer mirrored, so the only
download available is from ibiblio. Can you update the JIRA with this
information?

Thanks,

Craig

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>
> Date: August 11, 2006 4:33:27 PM PDT
> To: repository@apache.org
> Subject: Re: New location for Maven repositories on people.apache.org
>
> Hi Carlos,
>
> Thanks for that. There is no reference to these pages on the
> ibiblio web site itself. (I looked at http://www.ibiblio.org/
> mirrors.html and didn't see any reference to the maven directory).
>
> Interestingly, the trailing / in the urls below is significant. Try
> these two links:
>
> http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/
> and
> http://www.ibiblio.org/maven
>
> I suppose "anyone who knows anything about urls" knows why these
> are different...
>
> Craig
>
> On Aug 11, 2006, at 4:12 PM, Carlos Sanchez wrote:
>
>> http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/
>> and
>> http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/
>>
>> as part of the main maven repo.
>>
>> On 8/11/06, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Henry,

>>> mirrors?

>>> have the
>>> rsyncing
>>>
>>> But where are they on ibiblio? I can't find them. They used to be in
>>> "java-repository" at http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/apache/
>>> java-repository.
>>>
>>> So maybe they are no longer available as separate downloads, but
>>> available only by maven?
>>>
>>> We used to publish the jar files as maven artifacts that could be
>>> downloaded directly by a user by following a link to a mirror site.
>>> Or maven could fetch them all by itself.
>>>
>>> Our .cgi script contained e.g.
>>> jdo2-api-2.0.jar">jdo2-api-2.0.jar</a>
>>> [<a href="http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/javax.jdo/jars/
>>> jdo2-api-2.0.jar.asc">PGP</a>]
>>> [<a href="http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/javax.jdo/jars/
>>> jdo2-api-2.0.jar.md5">MD5</a>]
>>>
>>> So I'm still confused.

>>> just
>>>
>>> And I'm now on the repository@ alias.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Craig

>>> date.

>>> step

>>> Craig Russell
>>> Architect, Sun Java Enterprise System http://java.sun.com/
>>> products/jdo
>>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
>>> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!
>>>

>> --
>> I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
>> No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
>>                             -- The Princess Bride
>
> Craig Russell
> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Craig Russell

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
oh, BTW, /maven/* file requests will redirect to /maven2 so what you
actually see under /maven/ directory listings is not accurate. You
should point users to the /maven2 locations

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Carlos,

Thanks for that. There is no reference to these pages on the ibiblio
web site itself. (I looked at http://www.ibiblio.org/mirrors.html and
didn't see any reference to the maven directory).

Interestingly, the trailing / in the urls below is significant. Try
these two links:

http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/
and
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven

I suppose "anyone who knows anything about urls" knows why these are
different...

Craig

On Aug 11, 2006, at 4:12 PM, Carlos Sanchez wrote:

> http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/
> and
> http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/
>
> as part of the main maven repo.
>
> On 8/11/06, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
>> Hi Henry,

>> mirrors?
>> >
>> > They're not on the mirrors anymore. There were no reasons to
>> have the
>> > repositories on the mirrors given that they only existed for
>> rsyncing
>> > up to ibiblio and not as usable repositories themselves.
>>
>> But where are they on ibiblio? I can't find them. They used to be in
>> "java-repository" at http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/apache/
>> java-repository.
>>
>> So maybe they are no longer available as separate downloads, but
>> available only by maven?
>>
>> We used to publish the jar files as maven artifacts that could be
>> downloaded directly by a user by following a link to a mirror site.
>> Or maven could fetch them all by itself.
>>
>> Our .cgi script contained e.g.
>> jdo2-api-2.0.jar">jdo2-api-2.0.jar</a>
>> [<a href="http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/javax.jdo/jars/
>> jdo2-api-2.0.jar.asc">PGP</a>]
>> [<a href="http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/javax.jdo/jars/
>> jdo2-api-2.0.jar.md5">MD5</a>]
>>
>> So I'm still confused.

>> just
>>
>> And I'm now on the repository@ alias.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Craig

>> date.

>> step

>> > Unless anyone does it first, I'll have a go at updating them.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Hen
>>
>> Craig Russell
>> jdo
>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
>> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

>                             -- The Princess Bride

Craig Russell

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Carlos,

Thanks for that. There is no reference to these pages on the ibiblio
web site itself. (I looked at http://www.ibiblio.org/mirrors.html and
didn't see any reference to the maven directory).

Interestingly, the trailing / in the urls below is significant. Try
these two links:

http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/
and
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven

I suppose "anyone who knows anything about urls" knows why these are
different...

Craig

On Aug 11, 2006, at 4:12 PM, Carlos Sanchez wrote:

> http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/
> and
> http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/
>
> as part of the main maven repo.
>
> On 8/11/06, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
>> Hi Henry,

>> mirrors?
>> >
>> > They're not on the mirrors anymore. There were no reasons to
>> have the
>> > repositories on the mirrors given that they only existed for
>> rsyncing
>> > up to ibiblio and not as usable repositories themselves.
>>
>> But where are they on ibiblio? I can't find them. They used to be in
>> "java-repository" at http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/apache/
>> java-repository.
>>
>> So maybe they are no longer available as separate downloads, but
>> available only by maven?
>>
>> We used to publish the jar files as maven artifacts that could be
>> downloaded directly by a user by following a link to a mirror site.
>> Or maven could fetch them all by itself.
>>
>> Our .cgi script contained e.g.
>> jdo2-api-2.0.jar">jdo2-api-2.0.jar</a>
>> [<a href="http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/javax.jdo/jars/
>> jdo2-api-2.0.jar.asc">PGP</a>]
>> [<a href="http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/javax.jdo/jars/
>> jdo2-api-2.0.jar.md5">MD5</a>]
>>
>> So I'm still confused.

>> just
>>
>> And I'm now on the repository@ alias.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Craig

>> date.

>> step

>> > Unless anyone does it first, I'll have a go at updating them.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Hen
>>
>> Craig Russell
>> jdo
>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
>> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

>                             -- The Princess Bride

Craig Russell

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Henry,

On Aug 11, 2006, at 1:50 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On 8/11/06, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm confused.
>>
>> It used to be that you could find the contents of /www/
>> www.apache.org/
>> dist/java-repository on all the mirrors, but now I can't find the
>> contents on any mirror.
>>
>> I know where they are on apache, but where are they on the mirrors?
>
> They're not on the mirrors anymore. There were no reasons to have the
> repositories on the mirrors given that they only existed for rsyncing
> up to ibiblio and not as usable repositories themselves.

But where are they on ibiblio? I can't find them. They used to be in
"java-repository" at http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/apache/
java-repository.

So maybe they are no longer available as separate downloads, but
available only by maven?

We used to publish the jar files as maven artifacts that could be
downloaded directly by a user by following a link to a mirror site.
Or maven could fetch them all by itself.

Our .cgi script contained e.g.
jdo2-api-2.0.jar">jdo2-api-2.0.jar</a>
[<a href="http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/javax.jdo/jars/
jdo2-api-2.0.jar.asc">PGP</a>]
[<a href="http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/javax.jdo/jars/
jdo2-api-2.0.jar.md5">MD5</a>]

So I'm still confused.

>> requested...)

And I'm now on the repository@ alias.

Thanks,

Craig

>> Is there a plan to update these pages? They seem to be out of date.
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#build-directories
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#repo-step-by-step
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/dev/mirror-step-by-step.html#instructions
>
> Unless anyone does it first, I'll have a go at updating them.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hen

Craig Russell

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi,

On Jul 17, 2006, at 9:14 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> (Please reply to repository@apache.org and ensure you drop the Cc
> to committers@apache.org)
>
> The maven repositories on people.apache.org can now be found at the
> following paths:
>
>   /www/people.apache.org/repo/m1-snapshot-repository
>   /www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository
>   /www/people.apache.org/repo/m1-ibiblio-rsync-repository
>   /www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository
>
> (previous paths were:
>   /www/people.apache.org/repository
>   /www/people.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository
>   /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository
>   /www/www.apache.org/dist/maven-repository
> )
>
> Apart from fixing up the previously random names, this moves the
> repositories for syncing to ibiblio (currently a manual task that
> Carlos Sanchez Gonzalez (carlos) is taking care of) out of the ASF
> mirror directories.
>
> One important change that this leads to is that you NO LONGER NEED
> TO DELETE from the ibibilio rsync repositories. These will one day
> be the ASF Maven repository once we've figured out how we can
> handle hosting that bandwidth wise.
>
> For the snapshot repositories, there are currently symlinks in
> place so that the various CI systems that deploy to them don't fall
> over. Please update these and let us know at repository@apache.org
> that you're pointing to the new path.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hen

Craig Russell

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
On 7/18/06, Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> wrote:
> Might have wanted to have used m<N>-central-rsync-repository... I've
> heard a bunch of rumors that ibiblio might be replaced at sometime in
> the future as the host for central.

nothing i'm aware of

> Also, any idea when an automatic rsync is going to be enabled?  Right
> now we have to list the rsync repository in pom's to make sure they
> pick up the latest release artifacts that may have not been sync'd to
> central yet.

I just check that there are pgp signatures and everything looks right.
it could be automated now that everybody seems to follow the steps
with no trouble

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org>.

On 7/18/06 11:34 PM, "Jason Dillon" <ja...@planet57.com> wrote:

> Might have wanted to have used m<N>-central-rsync-repository... I've

+1

In any case: cocoon CI has now been switched to the new locations.

Regards
Jorg

Re: New location for Maven repositories on people.apache.org

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
tapestry has been updated/tested working on new repo paths

--
Jesse Kuhnert
Tacos/Tapestry, team member/developer

dojo/tapestry/tacos/hivemind.

Re: New location for Maven repositories on people.apache.org

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
I think they'll see repo is gone.

Hopefully they're not using the downstream mirrors within a build
system as that repo was only ever intended for rsyncing to ibiblio and
things were (but shouldn't anymore) deleted from it.

Hen

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Have moved the SNAPHSOT one out, though for me it was:

./m1-ibiblio-rsync-repository/commons-jelly/jars/commons-jelly-SNAPHSOT.jar

I guess you were showing the m2 url after conversion.

The others I've moved to:

/home/bayard//dead-unreleased-ibiblio-rsync-repository

Hen

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Hen,

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 7/18/06, Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Probably everyone already saw this but this obviously affects our
> project.  Its interesting that there will one day be an official ASF
> maven repository.

Yes, I changed Struts and Shale over to the new URL last night, and
will take a look at MyFaces soon if no one beats me to it. :)

--
Wendy

Fwd: New location for Maven repositories on people.apache.org

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Probably everyone already saw this but this obviously affects our
project.  Its interesting that there will one day be an official ASF
maven repository.

Sean

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
Henri Yandell wrote:

> (Please reply to repository@apache.org and ensure you drop the Cc to
> committers@apache.org)
>
> The maven repositories on people.apache.org can now be found at the
> following paths:
>
>   /www/people.apache.org/repo/m1-snapshot-repository
>   /www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository
>   /www/people.apache.org/repo/m1-ibiblio-rsync-repository
>   /www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository
>
> (previous paths were:
>   /www/people.apache.org/repository
>   /www/people.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository
>   /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository
>   /www/www.apache.org/dist/maven-repository
> )
>
> Apart from fixing up the previously random names, this moves the
> repositories for syncing to ibiblio (currently a manual task that
> Carlos Sanchez Gonzalez (carlos) is taking care of) out of the ASF
> mirror directories.
>
> One important change that this leads to is that you NO LONGER NEED TO
> DELETE from the ibibilio rsync repositories. These will one day be the
> ASF Maven repository once we've figured out how we can handle hosting
> that bandwidth wise.
>
> For the snapshot repositories, there are currently symlinks in place
> so that the various CI systems that deploy to them don't fall over.
> Please update these and let us know at repository@apache.org that
> you're pointing to the new path.
Done for Jakarta Commons nightlies.

Phil