Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com> on 2010/09/24 13:58:43 UTC

Pivot 2.0

Hi all,

I'd like to start the process of getting Pivot 2.0 ready for release. There are still 25 open issues in JIRA, but a number of them should be pretty easy to resolve and the rest can be pushed to a maintenance release or Pivot 2.1.

Pivot 2.0 represents a huge step forward in many respects, and I'd like to get it in front of developers as soon as possible. If you could try to wrap up any features or issues you have been working on over the next few weeks, that would be great. In the meantime, I plan to start testing and updating documentation. It would be great if we could get 2.0 out the door by the end of October or mid-November at the latest. Once we get into December, it is harder to make a splash with a release announcement.

We also have a number of changes in the pipeline for 1.5.2. I had originally assumed that we would release 1.5.2 well before 2.0 - now that 2.0 is close to release, I'm not sure we should bother. 1.5.2 does have some useful fixes and improvements, but it also has a few breaking API changes (something we had originally hoped to avoid for maintenance releases). All of these changes have also been incorporated into 2.0 - since we'd probably recommend that most developers upgrade to 2.0 anyways, should we still release 1.5.2 as well?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Greg

Re: Pivot 2.0

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
> in my opinion it's important to release the 1.5.2 in a few weeks (of course
> before the 2.0), mainly for all users that doesn't want or doesn't have the
> time to migrate to 2.0, to ensure that their investment in Pivot is
> preserved, and I think this is a welcome plus.

The problem is that we want users to upgrade. We're not going to maintain the 1.5.x branch indefinitely. Releasing both will simply create more work for us, and at the moment, I don't think it is justified.

> I agree with Chris that it's important to provide upgrade documentation.

We will definitely be doing this.

> On the breaking API changes, maybe we should see if it's the case to release
> this as 1.6 and not 1.5.2 ...

That's exactly the problem. 1.5.2 is a bit more like 1.6 release, but it definitely doesn't make sense to do both a 1.6 and a 2.0 release.

> And last, one development tasks for 2.0, I'm slowly (as always) working on
> some of them (mainly the work on colors and graphics is really time
> consuming, at least for me), we can update until the end of next week (and
> end of next weeks too) and see what is the general status and tests.
> Probably some of my tasks could be moved to 2.1 without problems (for
> example the Print from Browser problem is really tricky, etc), but I'd
> prefer to wait some weeks before moving to 2.1 if for others is Ok.

Yeah, I imagine that there will probably be some time between 2.0 and 2.1. However, we'll probably do some 2.0.x releases in the interim.

Re: Pivot 2.0

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
OK, that seems fine. Why don't we start the release process for 1.5.2 now, and we'll start the 2.0 release in a couple of weeks. That way, we'll get 1.5.2 out of the way, and we can make it available for some limited period of time afterwards (a few months or so) - with the understanding that it is no longer being maintained.

Re: Pivot 2.0

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Greg,

Re: Pivot 2.0

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
I admit that I did briefly consider this myself a while back, but releasing 1.6 and 2.0 concurrently would just be confusing for developers and difficult for us. I do not think this is a good idea at all.

Re: Pivot 2.0

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Pivot 2.0

Re: Pivot 2.0

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.
The effort required to officially release 1.5.2 could probably be better
spent elsewhere.
As long as the 1.5.x branch is kept, users would still be free to get and
build from source if they wanted.

I imagine that the benefits in 2.0 would drive the majority of users to bite
the bullet and upgrade anyway, especially if 1.5.2 isn't merely a drop in
replacement for 1.5.1.
As long as we provide adequate upgrade documentation (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIVOT-643)  then I think focusing on
2.0 is preferable.

Chris