Posted to dev@rya.apache.org by David Lotts <dl...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/14 18:23:51 UTC

Discussion: Next release - post v3.2.11 When, who, and what?

We soon will have plenty of new features and fixes for another release, if
we don't already.  So I'd like to kick off some discussion.  Requesting
comments for any of these:

1- When shall we target the next release? Start now?

2- Can we get a volunteer to be the next Release Manager?
There are a couple of us now listening to this list that can help you reify
the instructions[1], which are looking pretty good these days.  I'd be glad
to walk you through it.

3- Our current release is 3.2.11, shall we call this one 3.2.12 ?
Any breaking changes?  v3.3.0 or v4.0.0 ?

david.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RYA/How+To+Release+Rya

Re: Discussion: Next release - post v3.2.11 When, who, and what?

Posted by David Lotts <dl...@gmail.com>.
Yay!  Thanks Adina!  You can start right away, if you like, with the
one-time preparation portion of the wiki instructions.  Tell me your
twitter @name and I will authorize you to tweet as @ApacheRya.

My Apache-novice opinions are that we:

1- (when) start the release process now and be done before everybody
disappears for holidays.  It begins with the "Last call for PR's deadline"

2- (who) Adina

3- (what) put the RDF4J upgrade (a dream coming true) into a 4.0.0 in early
2018 or whenever it is stable.
Meanwhile, now, release our current master as 3.2.12.
Then for for each bug or feature, there must be two pull requests to port
to both v3 and v4.
Some features might skip v3 depending on the demand.

david.

Re: Discussion: Next release - post v3.2.11 When, who, and what?

Posted by Puja Valiyil <pu...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for volunteering Adina!

As far as Davids questions below, I do not feel there are any breaking changes thus far.  However, we do have a breaking change in the pipeline with the upgrade to the latest version of rdf4j.  I was thinking that any releases after that pr is merged be on a 4.0.0 series.

Since I know many users may not be able to immediately upgrade, does it also make sense to maintain a 3.2.x branch?  I know a few users of rya that will for not be able to update deployed instances of rya to a 4.0.0 version anytime soon but may need to submit bug fixes/security patches/minor features against the current 3.2.x baseline.  How do other projects handle this?  I think maintaining two branches makes sense but I would really like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Adina Crainiceanu <ad...@usna.edu>.