Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by sharmasgsin <sh...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/04 15:42:17 UTC

How to update the tomcat to run newly deployed applications without restarting it.

I am developing an application that do the following--
1) create the subdomain at www.goforthat.com, like i am creating asubdomain
as http://example.goforthatc.com
2)At the same time this aplication is creating an account at other
application that is http://www.mobizme.biz. with all the ftp details of the
newly created subdomian(http://example.goforthatc.com). using this
application a user can deevelop and publish his website at the above given
subdomain.
my web server is tocat.
     To publish the website, this application(http://www.mobizme.biz) test
the connection using the given ftp details,
     when i publish the website i not the following points ---
         1)this application fails to publish the website immediately to the
given subdomain using the ftp detail.
         2)this application is able to publish the website after one hour,
to the given subdomain using the ftp detail.
         3)if i restart the tomcat this application is able to publish the
website immediately.
         here i am describing the what i need---
                     1) i want to publish the website immediately, without
restarting the tomcat.
                     2) can i update the tomcat to responde the newly
deployed applications immediately without restarting it.
                     please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks
Shashi K. Sharma

RE: How to update the tomcat to run newly deployed applications withoutrestarting it.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: How to update the tomcat to run newly deployed
> applications withoutrestarting it.
>
> First, in summary, the question may boil down to : if the
> Tomcat/conf/server.xml file is modified (timestamp changed),
> does Tomcat automatically reload itself ? after some time ?

To my knowledge, it does not; the server.xml file is only read during Tomcat startup.  However, there are APIs within Tomcat that allow creation of hosts on the fly.  (There have been a few discussions on the mailing list over the past couple of years on how to do that.)  The OP gave no real indication of the mechanisms currently employed to configure the new website; the term "publish" is pretty much meaningless.

> if the experienced delay may not just be the time needed for
> the DNS system to propagate the new domain address ?

That would certainly seem to be a factor, although it doesn't explain the claim that the new domain is usable immediately upon Tomcat restart.

 - Chuck

Re: How to update the tomcat to run newly deployed applications without restarting it.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
sharmasgsin wrote:
> I am developing an application that do the following--
> 1) create the subdomain at www.goforthat.com, like i am creating asubdomain
> as http://example.goforthatc.com
> 2)At the same time this aplication is creating an account at other
> application that is http://www.mobizme.biz. with all the ftp details of the
> newly created subdomian(http://example.goforthatc.com). using this
> application a user can deevelop and publish his website at the above given
> subdomain.
> my web server is tocat.
>      To publish the website, this application(http://www.mobizme.biz) test
> the connection using the given ftp details,
>      when i publish the website i not the following points ---
>          1)this application fails to publish the website immediately to the
> given subdomain using the ftp detail.
>          2)this application is able to publish the website after one hour,
> to the given subdomain using the ftp detail.
>          3)if i restart the tomcat this application is able to publish the
> website immediately.
>          here i am describing the what i need---
>                      1) i want to publish the website immediately, without
> restarting the tomcat.
>                      2) can i update the tomcat to responde the newly
> deployed applications immediately without restarting it.
>                      please let me know as soon as possible.

After perusing the above a couple of times, my interpretation goes like
this :

First, in summary, the question may boil down to : if the
Tomcat/conf/server.xml file is modified (timestamp changed), does Tomcat
automatically reload itself ? after some time ?

I kind of understand that the above means that a Tomcat application
dynamically modifies the server.xml to add a new Host, and that as soon
as this is the case, the OP would like Tomcat to notice and enable this
new Host.
I also guess that it seems that whenever this application does the
above, currently the new site is not immediately available, but becomes
available after about an hour.
The question in my mind (if it is true that Tomcat would reload if
server.xml is changed) is if the experienced delay may not just be the
time needed for the DNS system to propagate the new domain address ?