Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2016/06/21 10:39:11 UTC

PreCommit Builds on ASF Infra Jenkins

Hi,

I just stumbled over something I think could be really cool for us. I noticed quite a lot of build in the ASF Jenkins that match the PreCommit-{ProjectName}-Build name pattern, so I used Google to find out what these are.

It seems on the ASF Infra Jenkins they implemented a mechanism to auto run a build for a patch. It seems as If the build is run by checking out the latest version, applying the patch and running all the tests. At the end it seems they report back the status of the build. I think this could be really useful for us especially with the Maven build up and running.

This way we could encourage people to contribute much easier and we would reduce the amount of manual work for accepting patches quite a lot. After all If I see a pull request for which Jenkins confirms that it doesn't break anything if I apply it, I would be more willing to spend time accepting pull requests.

Here's a pointer to that feature: https://wiki.apache.org/general/PreCommitBuilds

Chris

Re: PreCommit Builds on ASF Infra Jenkins

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 6/21/16, 3:39 AM, "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>

>I just stumbled over something I think could be really cool for us. I
>noticed quite a lot of build in the ASF Jenkins that match the
>PreCommit-{ProjectName}-Build name pattern, so I used Google to find out
>what these are.
>

>It seems on the ASF Infra Jenkins they implemented a mechanism to auto
>run a build for a patch. It seems as If the build is run by checking out
>the latest version, applying the patch and running all the tests. At the
>end it seems they report back the status of the build. I think this could
>be really useful for us especially with the Maven build up and running.
>

>This way we could encourage people to contribute much easier and we would
>reduce the amount of manual work for accepting patches quite a lot. After
>all If I see a pull request for which Jenkins confirms that it doesn't
>break anything if I apply it, I would be more willing to spend time
>accepting pull requests.
>

>Here's a pointer to that feature:
>https://wiki.apache.org/general/PreCommitBuilds

Sounds good to me.  Thanks for looking into it.

-Alex