Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Todd O'Bryan <to...@mac.com> on 2004/02/17 12:34:40 UTC

How do I run it?

I'm working through Chapter 3 of the Tapestry in Action book, and I've
created a Tapestry project in Eclipse using Spindle which has a Login
page, and that's about it.

Did I miss the part where the book explains how to run a new webapp to
see what it does, or is that coming in the Appendices?

Anyway, what do I do now to run my little page and see it?

(If the answer is RTFM, please point me toward the appropriate M. I
feel very lost at this point.)

Todd

P.S. I realize the book is on its way out the door, but if there is any
way to come up with a simpler example for Chapter 2, that would be a
very good thing. There's so much there and it requires so many files,
and so much integrating of material that I kind of glazed over as I was
reading it. Maybe a simple text-based Hangman with all the possible
words hard-coded into the class to begin with, so you have a Guess page
which prints the alphabet with blanks for used letters, takes the user
input in a text field, prints out the word to guess as a text string,
and prints out the number of guesses remaining as text. Something very
basic. Then over the course of the chapter, you could systematically
change each component to make it graphical, implement listeners for
clicks, and show the number of incorrect guesses as an image. Right
now, there's too much code at the beginning and it's really
overwhelming, plus there are lots of image files that get in the way of
the program logic. Oh, and make sure that you explain to people how to
write this and get it running. The best tutorials have the user
interact with the code, make changes, and see the results. The hangman
app is presented as a fait accompli and instead of interacting with the
code, the reader has to try to wrap his/her head around it. Maybe you
encourage more interaction later...I'm only in Chapter 3.

Re: How do I run it?

Posted by David Moran <dm...@nc.rr.com>.
I think the easiest way to get started using Eclipse and Spingdle is
Kevin Dorf's tutorial: http://dorffweb.com/index.htm?page=taptutorial
Once you get it running it will be easy to run the examples in the book.