Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Nitin Arora <ni...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/10 09:23:10 UTC

Using MM efficiently to get right number of results

I am looking for an efficient way for setting the MM(minimum should match)
parameter for my solr search queries. As we go from MM=100% to MM=0%, we
move from lots of zero result queries on one hand to too many irrelevant
results (which may then get boosted by other factors) on the other. I can
think of multiple ways to approach this:
1) Try decreasing mm from 100% to 90% to 80% in a staggered manner till you
have just the right number of results. Does not sound very efficient though.
2) Use a low value of MM, say 0%, and then pick only the top 200 results to
apply other boost factors to. Would not allow to use bf, bq, boost within
SOLR.

My question is, What is the standard industry practice in this matter. How
do you go about ensuring that your search returns *just the right* number
of results so that you can use other boost functions on the relevant set of
results.

Thanks in advance
Nitin

Re: Using MM efficiently to get right number of results

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
It can be basically any thing you can do with a standard Solr query.

Posted by Nitin Arora <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.