Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Noel Welsh <No...@TouchClarity.com> on 2001/10/22 18:25:43 UTC

Strange compilation problems

I'm trying to compile a new appender for log4j.  I'm getting a strange
compilation problem on this line:

				String[] thrown =
event.getThrowableStrRep();

The error is:

  SMSAppender.java:51: cannot resolve symbol
  symbol  : method getThrowableStrRep  ()
  location: class org.apache.log4j.spi.LoggingEvent
				String[] thrown =
event.getThrowableStrRep();

This is odd - the method does exist and the class is in my classpath (I've
tried using both log4.jar and the classes in dist/classes).  I've had a
similar problem with another log4j class (can't remember which) that wanted
a String at its parameter even though the source code showed it wanted an
Object.  It is possible the compiled classes haven't been synched with the
source?

My environment is log4j 1.1.3 with Sun's JDK 1.3.0 on NT 4.0

TIA,
Noel