Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2018/11/07 08:49:09 UTC

Splitting up the drivers?

Hi all,

I will probably working on a passive-mode driver for S7 for the next few weeks as part of a paid contract.
As the passive part requires quite a different set of dependencies, I would like to create two versions of the S7 driver.
In order do to this split, I think it would be a good idea to split up the module into 3 (optionally 4):

  *   S7-codec
  *   S7-active-driver
  *   S7-passive-driver
  *   (S7-read-only-active-driver)

I think the idea of a dedicated “codec” module came up a while ago, because this way we could also provide a

  *   S7-native

Driver that supports the full set of S7 features with the native S7 driver API … I would definitely not work on that,
But this way someone could.

If we think of other drivers such as ADS, we could also do the split between serial and TCP based drivers:

  *   ADS-codec
  *   ADS-active-tcp
  *   ADS-active-serial
  *   ADS-passive

What do you think?

Chris

Re: Splitting up the drivers?

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.
Agreed, that is the sane thing to do

On November 7, 2018 at 06:56:14, Christofer Dutz (christofer.dutz@c-ware.de)
wrote:

Hi Otto,

I think I even had an archetype in the beginning .. but got rid of it as we
were evolving the API so fast that we continuously had to update the
archetype.
Think in the end I removed it with the hope to add a new one when the
internals are more mature ... think I should re-think adding that again.

Chris

Am 07.11.18, 11:56 schrieb "Otto Fowler" <ot...@gmail.com>:

That makes a lot of sense. As you move forward, you can look to
standardize that type of setup with an archetype ( perhaps that has codec +
active by default )

On November 7, 2018 at 03:49:22, Christofer Dutz (christofer.dutz@c-ware.de)

Re: Splitting up the drivers?

Re: Splitting up the drivers?