Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Valter Mazzola <tx...@hotmail.com> on 2000/04/06 23:53:51 UTC

Re: NT/IIS/PerlEx vs ASP : (my) stupid benckmark

>From: Nicolas MONNET <ni...@monnet.to>
>To: Valter Mazzola <tx...@hotmail.com>
>CC: modperl@apache.org
>Subject: Re: NT/IIS/PerlEx vs ASP : stupid benckmark
>Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 20:35:00 +0200 (CEST)
>
>On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Valter Mazzola wrote:
>|i've made a stupid unscientific benckmark:
>|
>|the program loops 1000000 and print a series of "a ", PerlEx takes the
>same
>|time as ASP (same NT machine) , BUT processor goes 100% with PerlEx, 45%
>|with ASP.
>|
>|Can someone benchmark mod_perl under Win32, using the same stupid program
>?
>
>I don't mean to be rude, but this is one stupid benchmark! Basically
>useless for that matter. You're not going to demonstrate anything with
>this.

i agree with you, really. But this is a numeric result, and a bit
significative: if you print a lot, asp 'seems' better.

>Now a good question is: what would be a good benchmark?

an average script choosen from the hundreds that we make
db+file ...

>What about doing some real life stuff, like get big results from a
>database, and calculate something over them, and print the (big?) result
>back?

i agree also for this (see my posting to modper@apache.org), i've written
this (very) stupid in the hope that someone do better (and is simple...)

>(Now this is not flamebait, I'm really wondering: why run mod_perl apps on
>WinNT? )

(because my company doesn't use unix/linux but WinNt+asp, and i stress
everyday about linux/perl ...)

hello Nicolas
(sorry for my probably bad english)
valter