Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tom Mikelson <tu...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/27 22:51:54 UTC

Changes to jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12-LE-jdk14 from older binaries?

I have tried numerous tutorials on the web for
installing my own apps on
jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12-LE-jdk14.  My servlet will work
if I place it in the examples/WEB-INF/classes
directory but when I try to set it up anywhere else
the .jsp files work but the servlets come back with
the 404 error.  I see where all the tutorials use
earlier versions of TomCat, possibly there has been
some dramatic change in this new version.  What
version should I go back to that is more stable?  TIA.

Re: Changes to jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12-LE-jdk14 from older binaries?

Posted by Jeff Wishnie <je...@deluxebiz.com>.
Don't know exactly what issue you are having, but I've found that servlet-mapping settings _don't_ seem to be inherited from the
global web.xml file.

Try adding explicit mappings for *.jsp to your apps web.xml as follows:

   <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>jsp</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>*.jsp</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

For static content, like HTML, map it to the default servlet

    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>default</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>*.html</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

NOTE: You do _not_ have to redeclare the servlets with a <serlvet> call, just the mapping.

QUESTION: For the list--why do I have to restate the Servlet-Mappings in my Webapp's own web.xml ? according to the documentation,
all settings should be inherited from the global web.xml in CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml ???

- Jeff

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Tom Mikelson wrote:
> I have tried numerous tutorials on the web for
> installing my own apps on
> jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12-LE-jdk14.  My servlet will work
> if I place it in the examples/WEB-INF/classes
> directory but when I try to set it up anywhere else
> the .jsp files work but the servlets come back with
> the 404 error.  I see where all the tutorials use
> earlier versions of TomCat, possibly there has been
> some dramatic change in this new version.  What
> version should I go back to that is more stable?  TIA.

Due to possible security issues, the invoker servlet (which does the
/servlet/* magic) is disabled by default.

Please read the release notes, it is mentioned explicitely.

Remy