Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Enrique Perez <pe...@dit.upm.es> on 2006/09/04 17:27:27 UTC

Portlet communication

Hi all,

I'm trying to bind two portlets together, so when you click a button
(from an html form) it triggers an action on the other portlet.
I know it is similar to "User browser & User details" portlets from
"j2-admin" application, but I'm at a very initial stage and I don't want
to use "vm portlets" nor "jsp portlets". I'm just trying to get the
concept =)

I've read the portlet specification (v1.0... I seem to remember that
specification 2.0 deals with portlet communication) and it says that one
portlet can target itself by creating a "portletURL" (using
"createActionURL" or "createRenderURL") with the "response" object. That
way, you can use that URL to target the portlet from an html form or a link.
But, what if I want to target a different portlet? Is there any way to
get the portletURL from the second portlet within the first one?

I mean, supposed:
·---------------· ·---------------·
| portlet A | ——> | portlet B |
| html form | /

And I want the portlet B to process one action or another depending on
the html form (of portlet A).
How can I get the "portletURL" object from portlet B within the portlet
A so I can include that URL in the action field of the form?

Thanks and regards,
Enrique