Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Benjamin Slavin <bs...@ee.pitt.edu> on 2005/06/02 01:13:54 UTC

Google Summer of Code: Implementation of IMAP support

Hello All,

My name is Ben Slavin, and I'm an undergraduate student in the Computer
Engineering program at the University of Pittsburgh. I came across your
project through the Google Summer of Code program, and am interested in
learning more about the proposed '*Implementation of IMAP support' project.

I have what I consider to be a strong background in Java, as well as
C/C++, and think that I could provide positive input to the JAMES
project. I have recently been trying to better understand the way in
which IMAP works, and think this could be the perfect opportunity.

Because I've never worked with JAMES previously, I'd like to get the
input of some of the members of this mailing list to get a better idea
of what needs to be done to get IMAP on its feet, and what I might be
able to contribute. The description on the suggestion page of
'*improvement to the message repository is neccessary' is somewhat
vague, so if someone close to this part of the project might be able to
extrapolate, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm open to suggestions from the group, and hope that I'll be able to
work with you in the future to improve the feature set of JAMES!

All the best!
  --Ben

Re: Google Summer of Code: Implementation of IMAP support

Posted by Thibaut Lassalle <tl...@cvdunet.com>.
comme je te disais les mailing listes ont beaucoup d'usage notament
d'offrir du support au projet open-source (donc gratuit).

Prenons l'exemple de la mailing list du projet James (c'est un serveur
de mail).
Le principe d'une mailinglist est simple. Si quelqu'un se pose une
question, il envoie un mail a un automate (ici a
server-dev@james.apache.org). L'automate forwarde le mail contenant la
question a tous les gens inscrits dans la mailinglist. Si quelqu'un a
envie de repondre, il répond a l'automate qui forward la réponse a tout
le monde. Tu obtiens des questions réponses hyper a jour.

Connais tu le "Google Summer of Code program". C'est un concours
d'informaticien qui vont passer leur été a kiffé faire des logiciels
gratuits sur internet. Ici, le mec propose son aide pour passer l'été a
amélioré une fonctionnalité du serveur James.

J'ai vu des tonnes de mail comme celui la. C'est rigolot, je découvre le
phénomène

Posted by Jason Webb <jw...@inovem.com>.
Hi Ben.
As I'm the sucker trying to get IMAP to work I will attempt to fill you in.

If you've checked out the code form SVN you'll need to look at the IMAP2
proposal as this is the one I'm working from. It has a complete protocol
stack but lacks the ability to persist messages to disk for db (it currently
stores them in memory).

Where I'm at now:
I now have an IMAP server that can create & list folders to/from disk, but
not their contents. It supports subscribe & unsubscribe, but you currently
cannot delete or rename folders as I currently consider that low priority.
DB based stores will be fixed later.

What needs to be done:
Once the code is complete enough for me to issue a test release then I would
like people to start working on the IMAP implementation.
This would include:
Making a cleaner mapping between the current James repository model and the
IMAP one. At the moment the mapping is crude and will not scale. This work
is part of "improvement to the message repository is necessary". Another
part of this is re-specifying the repository interfaces to make them
a) easier to understand
b) backwards compatible with store implementations (API doesn't matter, but
being able to read existing stores does)
c) add the maildir patch in James
d) support JMS to allow a fully distributed mail system
e) refactor the repositories as POJOs
f) use JNDI to handle stores. See
http://wiki.apache.org/james/JamesV3/UserStore for ideas about the
userstore.