Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Eric Scharff <ed...@yahoo.com> on 2001/05/16 18:09:16 UTC

Running SVG viewer in Mac OS X

I'm new to SVG and to Batik, and I couldn't get access to the
email archives, so I apologize if this is a FAQ.

I tried to run the batik viewer under Mac OS X.  The app runs,
but all the Java2D rendering comes out looking odd.  For
example, a typical "solid" picture will come out "striped", with
whitespace between various lines.  In other images, pictures are
offset by a number of pixels.  The result in all cases are
unviewable images.

I realize that Mac OS X java support still needs work, but I
wonder if there is a quick or obvious fix for these problems.
Nothing is throwing uncaught exceptions, so it isn't that easy
to track down.

Does anyone have a suggestion where I might start to look,
especially to determine if this nasty behavior is a Batik or a
Mac OS X Java2D bug?

Thanks,

-Eric

Running SVG viewer in Mac OS X

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.

ES> I tried to run the batik viewer under Mac OS X.  The app runs, but
ES> all the Java2D rendering comes out looking odd.

ES> Does anyone have a suggestion where I might start to look,
ES> especially to determine if this nasty behavior is a Batik or a Mac
ES> OS X Java2D bug?

    I have constructed a simple test case that demonstrates this
bug, and it has been submitted to Apple, they are working on it but
I have heard no estimate of when it might be fixed.

ES> I realize that Mac OS X java support still needs work, but I
ES> wonder if there is a quick or obvious fix for these problems.
ES> Nothing is throwing uncaught exceptions, so it isn't that easy to
ES> track down.

    The fix would not be quick, but is reasonably obvious :)

    The problem is that they don't handle 'child rasters' properly.
Since we use this fairly extensively in the rendering chain, it would
not be very straight forward to remove from Batik.  Given my simple
example I hope that they can fix it fairly quickly.