Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Roman D <do...@gmail.com> on 2004/11/26 16:17:20 UTC

Tomcat not starting using startup.bat

Tomcat 5.0.28, Windows XP
System global environment variables set:
JAVA_HOME = c:/j2sdk1.4.2_04
CATALINA_HOME = C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Tomcat 5.0

Installed using jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28.exe default install options
(Installs to program files)

it's not possible to start from command line using startup.bat;
c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.0\bin>startup.bat
Using CATALINA_BASE:   C:/Program Files/Apache Software
Foundation/Tomcat 5.0
Using CATALINA_HOME:   C:/Program Files/Apache Software
Foundation/Tomcat 5.0
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: C:/Program Files/Apache Software
Foundation/Tomcat 5.0\temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       c:/j2sdk1.4.2_04
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Files/Apache

Of course obvious step is to install tomcat in simple path like
c:\tomcat, but I need to have it working on any installation path.
And I need to use startup.bat, not service launcher.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Re: Tomcat not starting using startup.bat

Posted by Quinton Delpeche <qu...@vippayroll.co.za>.
On Friday 26 November 2004 17:17, Roman D wrote:
> Tomcat 5.0.28, Windows XP
> System global environment variables set:
> JAVA_HOME = c:/j2sdk1.4.2_04
> CATALINA_HOME = C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Tomcat 5.0
>
> Installed using jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28.exe default install options
> (Installs to program files)
>
> it's not possible to start from command line using startup.bat;
> c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.0\bin>startup.bat
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   C:/Program Files/Apache Software
> Foundation/Tomcat 5.0
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   C:/Program Files/Apache Software
> Foundation/Tomcat 5.0
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: C:/Program Files/Apache Software
> Foundation/Tomcat 5.0\temp
> Using JAVA_HOME:       c:/j2sdk1.4.2_04
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Files/Apache
>
> Of course obvious step is to install tomcat in simple path like
> c:\tomcat, but I need to have it working on any installation path.
> And I need to use startup.bat, not service launcher.

Because of your Path and Operating System you will have to use the Directory
shortcut method.

I know that XP support spaces in path names from the command prompt but Java
doesn't realy.

Change Program Files to Progra~1
Change Apache Software to Apache~1

> Any suggestions?
> Thanks.

This should work. I had a similar problem in '97 when I first started
developing in Java. :)

Quinton Delpeche
Internal Systems Developer
Softline VIP

Telephone: +27 12 420 7000
Direct:    +27 12 420 7007
Facsimile: +27 12 420 7344

http://www.vippayroll.co.za/

"When I was crossing the border into Canada, they asked if I had any
firearms with me.  I said, `Well, what do you need?'"
		-- Steven Wright