Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by William Goedicke <bi...@brant-interactive.com> on 2011/09/30 02:31:43 UTC

Novice: reverse proxy problem

Dear Y'all -

I have ATS running fine on one server, but not on the other.

We have a vanilla configuration except for a change to records.conf.  The entry on the working instance is:

CONFIG proxy.config.proxy_name STRING crazy.brant-interactive.com

And the broken one is:

CONFIG proxy.config.proxy_name STRING lunatic.brant-interactive.com

Both machines have A records in DNS.

We also added records to remap.config.  The following is a sample from the working instance:

map_with_referer http://adam.brant-interactive.com http://adam.brant-interactive.com:8301 http://www.brant-interactive.com *

and on the broken instance:

map_with_referer http://billy.lunatic.brant-interactive.com http://billy.lunatic.brant-interactive.com:8141 http://www.brant-interactive.com *

billy.lunatic.brant-interactive.com is a cname to lunatic.brant-interactive.com, and adam.brant-interactive.com is a cname to crazy.brant-interactive.com.

We also changed the following on both as per the comment:

   # To enable forward proxy, you must turn off remap_required
CONFIG proxy.config.url_remap.remap_required INT 0

Some advice on debugging would be appreciated as well.

  - Billy

William Goedicke
President, Brant-Interactive LLC

email:      billy@brant-interactive.com
phone:     617-510-7244
AIM:        goedsole

Re: Novice: reverse proxy problem

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 10/03/2011 08:33 AM, William Goedicke wrote:
> We also added records to remap.config.  The following is a sample from
> the working instance:
>
> map_with_referer http://adam.brant-interactive.com
> <http://adam.brant-interactive.com/>
> http://adam.brant-interactive.com:8301
> <http://adam.brant-interactive.com:8301/>
> http://www.brant-interactive.com <http://www.brant-interactive.com/> *
>
> and on the broken instance:
>
> map_with_referer http://billy.lunatic.brant-interactive.com
> <http://billy.lunatic.brant-interactive.com/>
> http://billy.lunatic.brant-interactive.com:8141
> <http://billy.lunatic.brant-interactive.com:8141/>
> http://www.brant-interactive.com <http://www.brant-interactive.com/> *

Why map with referer? Since you allow any Referer anyways, why not just
use map?

> billy.lunatic.brant-interactive.com
> <http://billy.lunatic.brant-interactive.com/> is a cname to
> lunatic.brant-interactive.com <http://lunatic.brant-interactive.com/>,
> and adam.brant-interactive.com <http://adam.brant-interactive.com/> is
> a cname to crazy.brant-interactive.com
> <http://crazy.brant-interactive.com/>.
>
> We also changed the following on both as per the comment:

This is impossible to debug with just this information. You have any
details on what exactly breaks? Headers, responses etc.

-- Leif

Novice: reverse proxy problem