Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by John WHALE <jw...@tgnetworks.com.au> on 2002/04/24 17:48:06 UTC

.htaccess files not read

Hi,

I am trying to get apache to "not allow any person" access to a
directory unless they exist in the password list. Apache running on
netwar. Does anyone have a sample of the .htaccess file and the conf
file entries i should use. the directory on the netware server is
"Data1:/FPS". Also, how do I have a file named .htaccess on a netware
server. doesnt like the "dot" in front of  the file name

thanks

With Kind Regards
John V Whale
Mobile: 0410 654 285
Phone: +61 2 9221 1571
Fax: +61 2 9221 1578
AIM: whaleynovl

Re: .htaccess files not read

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
Owen Boyle wrote:

> John WHALE wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to get apache to "not allow any person" access to a
> > directory unless they exist in the password list. Apache running on
> > netwar. Does anyone have a sample of the .htaccess file and the conf
> > file entries i should use. the directory on the netware server is
> > "Data1:/FPS". Also, how do I have a file named .htaccess on a netware
> > server. doesnt like the "dot" in front of  the file name
>
> You don't NEED to use .htaccess to empower password protection. You can
> put the directives in the httpd.conf in a <Directory> container.. Either
> way, you need mod_auth directives like:
>
>   # Restricted area for secret stuff
>   <Directory /path/to/dir>
>     AuthType      Basic
>     AuthName      "Restricted Areay"
>     AuthUserFile  /path/to/password/file
>     require       valid-user
>   </Directory>
>
> If you want to change the name of ".htaccess" - use the AccessFileName
> directive to define it.
>
> Check the docs for all of this to understand it more...

PS if you do use .htaccess, you need to allow it to override httpd.conf
with a AllowOverride AuthConfig at least. - check the docs...

 Owen Boyle.

Re: .htaccess files not read

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
John WHALE wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get apache to "not allow any person" access to a
> directory unless they exist in the password list. Apache running on
> netwar. Does anyone have a sample of the .htaccess file and the conf
> file entries i should use. the directory on the netware server is
> "Data1:/FPS". Also, how do I have a file named .htaccess on a netware
> server. doesnt like the "dot" in front of  the file name

You don't NEED to use .htaccess to empower password protection. You can
put the directives in the httpd.conf in a <Directory> container.. Either
way, you need mod_auth directives like:

  # Restricted area for secret stuff
  <Directory /path/to/dir>
    AuthType      Basic
    AuthName      "Restricted Areay"
    AuthUserFile  /path/to/password/file
    require       valid-user
  </Directory>

If you want to change the name of ".htaccess" - use the AccessFileName
directive to define it.

Check the docs for all of this to understand it more...

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.