Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Melchior FRANZ <mf...@aon.at> on 2005/06/03 13:53:13 UTC

./configure: line 1575: syntax error near unexpected token `config.nice'

Hi,

I'm trying to compile svn 1.2.1 from the repository on Linux 2.6.11.7,
libc 2.3.3 with gcc 3.3.4 (pre 3.3.5 20040809; SuSE 9.2). Quite new
apr and apr-utils are installed.

Everything runs fine until I configure. This bails out with a complaint
about a syntax error in "SVN_CONFIG_NICE(config.nice)". Looks like it
doesn't know what SVN_CONFIG_NICE is meant to do. I found a definition
for it in build/ac-macros/svn-macros.m4, but this file is apparently
not read, nor is its name even mentioned in *any* of the files.

Now I wonder how this is supposed to work. From where should configure
know the definition of SVN_CONFIG_NICE. The documentation implies that
./autogen.sh && ./configure should be all that is necessary.

Can anyone give me a hint?

m.

PS: I know that I could download the tar.gz. But I have reasons for
    wanting to compile from the repository.

$ svn info
Repository UUID: 65390229-12b7-0310-b90b-f21a5aa7ec8e
Revision: 14958
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: lundblad
Last Changed Rev: 14954
Last Changed Date: 2005-06-03 08:52:18 +0200 (Fri, 03 Jun 2005)
Properties Last Updated: 2005-06-03 11:46:13 +0200 (Fri, 03 Jun 2005)

$ ./autogen.sh
buildcheck: checking installation...
buildcheck: autoconf version 2.59 (ok)
buildcheck: autoheader version 2.59 (ok)
buildcheck: libtool version 1.5.8 (ok)
Copying libtool helper: /usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4
Creating build-outputs.mk...
Creating svn_private_config.h.in...
Creating configure...

You can run ./configure now.

Running autogen.sh implies you are a maintainer.  You may prefer
to run configure in one of the following ways:

./configure --enable-maintainer-mode
./configure --disable-shared
./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --disable-shared

Note:  If you wish to run a Subversion HTTP server, you will need
Apache 2.0.  See the INSTALL file for details.

$ ./configure
configure: Configuring Subversion 1.2.1
./configure: line 1575: syntax error near unexpected token `config.nice'
./configure: line 1575: `SVN_CONFIG_NICE(config.nice)'

Re: ./configure: line 1575: syntax error near unexpected token `config.nice'

Posted by Melchior FRANZ <mf...@aon.at>.
* Scott Palmer -- Friday 03 June 2005 23:12:
> On Jun 3, 2005, at 3:48 PM, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> > Updating
> > does already walk the tree and could easily output a line for
> > locally changed
> > files without extra penalty. I guess there's some ideological
> > reason for this
> > omission.
>
> Update pulls in changes from the repository... Why would it report
> anything about your local edits?

Because "update" walks the file tree and checks for changes already.
Why would it *not* show local modifications to the user? "svn up" is
about syncing, and these messages would give a better summary of the syncing
result: identical to the files in the repository, or changed? Differences
*do* matter. And running "cvs status" takes again as much time as updating.
Why would I want to spend several minutes again on a big dir to get the
"status", when "cvs up" just did the same work (but refused to share). Well,
and then: cvs does it, and people are used to it. It could be output with
"svn up -v" only, so that the purist don't go blind.
   This topic doesn't occur in this tree for nothing: I brought it up because
it would have saved me a lot of time. Anyway, forget it. Thanks for helping
to solve that other problem. Bye & EOT (as far as I'm concerned).

m.

Re: ./configure: line 1575: syntax error near unexpected token `config.nice'

Posted by Scott Palmer <sc...@2connected.org>.
On Jun 3, 2005, at 3:48 PM, Melchior FRANZ wrote:

> * Melchior FRANZ -- Friday 03 June 2005 21:21:
>
>> * Max Bowsher -- Friday 03 June 2005 21:00:

> [...]
>
>>> Experiment with "svn status".
>>>

>>  it's easy enough to always call "svn status" before.
>>

> Hehe ... I should have tried that on a bigger dir before. That
> doubles the
> checkout time and is completely unusable for this purpose. A pity.
> Updating
> does already walk the tree and could easily output a line for
> locally changed
> files without extra penalty. I guess there's some ideological
> reason for this
> omission.

Update pulls in changes from the repository... Why would it report
anything about your local edits?  How are they relevant in the
context of pulling in external changes?  The only thing I can think
of is the case of a merge - which IS reported.

> Well, never mind. Sooner or later there will be a workaround/
> patch. :-/

It's not clear to me precisely what you are trying to work around.
Could you elaborate?

Scott

Re: ./configure: line 1575: syntax error near unexpected token `config.nice'

Posted by Melchior FRANZ <mf...@aon.at>.
* Melchior FRANZ -- Friday 03 June 2005 21:21:
> * Max Bowsher -- Friday 03 June 2005 21:00:
> > Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> > > SVN doesn't tell me when files are locally modified, which is quite annoying).
[...]
> > Experiment with "svn status".
>
>  it's easy enough to always call "svn status" before.

Hehe ... I should have tried that on a bigger dir before. That doubles the
checkout time and is completely unusable for this purpose. A pity. Updating
does already walk the tree and could easily output a line for locally changed
files without extra penalty. I guess there's some ideological reason for this
omission. Well, never mind. Sooner or later there will be a workaround/patch. :-/

m.

Re: ./configure: line 1575: syntax error near unexpected token `config.nice'

Posted by Melchior FRANZ <mf...@aon.at>.
* Max Bowsher -- Friday 03 June 2005 21:00:
> Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> > SVN doesn't tell me when files are locally modified, which is quite annoying).
>
> Actually, once you get used to it, the seperate reporting of "changes coming
> down the wire" and "local changes" is an absolutely wonderful feature.
> Experiment with "svn status".

Yes and no. I *do* want that information when I'm updating. I'll not get used to
the lack thereof. OTOH, as I'm seldom calling svn directly anyway, but mostly via
some kind of wrapper ([1] and more specific ones), it's easy enough to always
call "svn status" before. I have yet to become a bit more familiar with svn.
Downloading the Subversionbook next ...   :-)

m.

[1] http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdesdk/scripts/colorsvn?rev=409203&view=markup
    for getting colored output; very useful if one updates a lot

Re: ./configure: line 1575: syntax error near unexpected token `config.nice'

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> * Max Bowsher -- Friday 03 June 2005 19:21:
>> "aclocal.m4" is supposed to be read automatically by autoconf, and that
>> file includes the others.
>
> Fixed!
>
> I had "svn switch"ed, and "svn up"ped. But apparently, the aclocal.m4 file
> was still the old one, without the paths to the macros. (I'm still more
> used to cvs, and there I would have got a "P". SVN doesn't tell me when
> files are locally modified, which is quite annoying).

Actually, once you get used to it, the seperate reporting of "changes coming
down the wire" and "local changes" is an absolutely wonderful feature.
Experiment with "svn status".

Max.

Re: ./configure: line 1575: syntax error near unexpected token `config.nice'

Posted by Melchior FRANZ <mf...@aon.at>.
* Max Bowsher -- Friday 03 June 2005 19:21:
> "aclocal.m4" is supposed to be read automatically by autoconf, and that file
> includes the others.

Fixed!

I had "svn switch"ed, and "svn up"ped. But apparently, the aclocal.m4 file was still
the old one, without the paths to the macros. (I'm still more used to cvs, and there I
would have got a "P". SVN doesn't tell me when files are locally modified, which is
quite annoying). Now I tried "svn revert". Didn't help. But, finally, removing the
file and updating again did. So it's now working.

Thanks!  :-)

m.

Re: ./configure: line 1575: syntax error near unexpected token `config.nice'

Posted by Melchior FRANZ <mf...@aon.at>.
* Max Bowsher -- Friday 03 June 2005 19:21:
> Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> > But it's hard to debug, if I don't know how autoconf should even notice
> > that
> > SVN_CONFIG_NICE is defined in build/ac-macros/svn-macros.m4 and that it
> > should load it.

> "aclocal.m4" is supposed to be read automatically by autoconf, and that file
> includes the others.

Yes. It *is* read. But aclocal.m4 is from the subversion repository and
doesn't contain the string "ac-macros", nor "svn-macros.m4", nor "build"
(as path element). So, how could it find ac-macros? Any environment
variable that I have to set?

m.

Re: ./configure: line 1575: syntax error near unexpected token `config.nice'

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.

Posted by Melchior FRANZ <mf...@aon.at>.

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.