Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by scott hutinger <S-...@wiu.edu> on 2007/01/26 17:54:25 UTC

doc output patch to dita2fo-shell.xsl

I'm not certain if I should create a new issue for this or not.

What this does is modify the dita2fo-shell.xsl to add:
- copyright information on the cover page above the timestamp
- remove the copyright on the header of the body pages, and replace it
with the name of the document.
- The table of contents header has both the version number and the
document name on it.

A couple other things.  I tried fop .93 and DITA-OT1.3.1.  fop.93 in
different builds together on separately.  Fop.93 changes some layout and
looses the table of contents, probably some other items.  This more than
likely would take a bit of time to figure out the differences and how to
fix them.  As for DITA-OT1.3.1; my first impression is it's probably
best to do a diff with 1.2.x and 1.3.x then goto differences between
1.2.x and the current files that modify the output.  I did a direct diff
using meld (visual difference) from 1.3.x and the current files.  I
wasn't certain that it was worth the time, but that was before doing
mods to get the header with the document name.

XSLT has some strange side effects; one of them being $booktitle.  I
didn't debug, just guessed :-)

The patch was made within the lib directory, so cd lib; patch -p0 <
header1.patch

Anyway, Jean might be the one to tell me what to do...(new issue or
not).  I added this as an attachment, just in case anyone was interested
(or not...).  I'll do a new issue or use the old one that was hijacked
if best, and add the diff to it also.
scott

Re: doc output patch to dita2fo-shell.xsl

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
scott hutinger wrote:
> Jean,
>
> I can remove the (c) on the cover page.  Note that it is the only
> location where the appropriate (c) character is on the whole document.
> I think this is an issue.
> More than likely, the (c) symbol should be added on the copyright page.
> Currently it's before the word Copyright, and I think it's supposed to
> go after the word, not before (?).  Any ideas?

Currently derby conforms to the guidelines specified here:

   http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
   http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html

I found one hit in the legal-discuss archives [1] that mention
discussion of a specific change from this style:

"Copyright (c) 2001-2004 - Apache Software Foundation"

to this:

"Copyright [yyyy] The Apache Software Foundation or its licensors, as
applicable"

I bet that one post is just the tip of the iceberg. And, heh heh. I'm
noticing one snag in all this. :-)

At any rate, we should keep formatting the copyright statement the way
we are now because that's what the asf specifies.  Here's the snag: I
think we should drop the "or its licensors, as applicable" because that
was dropped from the guidelines, but that's now getting off topic from
your question about the (c).

> Also, I removed the flag for patch available for 2237.

I saw that -- thanks!

 -jean

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200503.mbox/%3C20050306004237.GA73621@mail26d.sbc-webhosting.com%3E

Re: doc output patch to dita2fo-shell.xsl

Posted by scott hutinger <S-...@wiu.edu>.
Jean,

Posted by Laura Stewart <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 1/26/07, Jean T. Anderson <jt...@bristowhill.com> wrote:

>  - I don't think copyright is needed on the title page -- a quick check
> of the tech books on my book shelf does not include any copyrights on
> the title pages (but it was good of you to figure out how to do that).
> Opinions?

I agree.  No copyrights on the title pages.
FYI - there is an issue already out there for upgrading to the the new
version of the dita toolkit:

I opened this issue and have been investigating the problem of getting
the index to be generate for PDF output, which I believe this new
version has fixed.

--
Laura Stewart

Re: doc output patch to dita2fo-shell.xsl

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Posted by scott hutinger <S-...@wiu.edu>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
scott hutinger wrote:
> I'll create a new issue and have it related to XSTL PDF output.
> scott

sounds good!

 -jean

Posted by scott hutinger <S-...@wiu.edu>.