Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Michał Araszkiewicz <m....@gmail.com> on 2012/09/24 11:06:28 UTC

windows search index flags on checked out files - is a bug?

Hello.
I look to confirm whether what i describe below is a bug.

Issue concerns windows search flags of files checked out on Windows 7.

Checked out folders have the flag "allow files in this folder to have
contents indexed in addition to file properties" enabled, but files inside
them have the flag "allow this file to have contents indexed in addition to
file properties" cleared. Therefore contents of the files is not indexed. I
expect it to be indexed in order to be able to use windows search (native
OS search) on local working copy (I use it to search documentation - Word,
text, excel files).

I first encoundered it with TortoiseSVN, but subsequently tested it doing a
fresh check-out using command-line svn (as suggested by otik in thread
linked below).
This behavior still exists.

Version 1.6.16 is not affected. This older version however had a nuisannce
that it also set the flags allowing for indexing svn metadata. It was
possible to workaround this issue by custom search rules.

relevant thread
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&viewType=browseAll&dsMessageId=3007689#messagefocus

google groups copy of the thread
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/tortoisesvn/gtCPsFDQk80

version of TSVN:
TortoiseSVN 1.7.9, Build 23248 - 64 Bit , 2012/08/30 18:25:37
Subversion 1.7.6,
apr 1.4.6
apr-utils 1.3.12
neon 0.29.6
OpenSSL 1.0.1c 10 May 2012
zlib 1.2.7

thanks for concern. best,
Michal

Re: windows search index flags on checked out files - is a bug?

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Bert Huijben,
am Donnerstag, 21. März 2013 um 21:28 schrieben Sie:

> I'm not really sure what the right way of fixing would be. Maybe
> Subversion should use two separate temp directories in .svn/ One for
> real temp files that mustn't be indexed and one for files that are
> about to be moved into the working copy.

What about just setting the flag again if necessary? The interesting
thing is only how to know if it is necessary, since it could be
cleared by the user by purpose and the file get reverted afterwards or
else. SVN could track this flag before any operation to the file and
set/clear it again after the operation as needed or by default just
set the flag if the parent folder has set it. This surely fits 99% of
use cases as only a small number of users will clear the flag on
single files.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail:Thorsten.Schoening@AM-SoFT.de

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

RE: windows search index flags on checked out files - is a bug?

Posted by Bert Huijben <be...@qqmail.nl>.

I think this is caused by subversion creating files in .svn/tmp/ and then moving them into the working copy.

The .svn directory is marked as not for indexing to avoid the indexer continuously opening files that we are about to move (which slows us down before moving every file). And on Windows 7 without SP1 these sometimes triggered a bug in NTFS which made Windows report that the drive was corrupt.

I'm not really sure what the right way of fixing would be. Maybe Subversion should use two separate temp directories in .svn/ One for real temp files that mustn't be indexed and one for files that are about to be moved into the working copy.

	Bert

Re: windows search index flags on checked out files - is a bug?

Posted by Burt <bu...@yahoo.com>.