Posted to dev@trafficcontrol.apache.org by Jeremy Mitchell <mi...@apache.org> on 2021/10/26 16:26:36 UTC

ATC Release Schedule

In the past, ATC has targeted quarterly official releases but we've failed
on many occasions due to "holding the bus" for certain features or slow
release voting. In the 10/26/2021 TC working group, we discussed and agreed
that we need to stick to this schedule regardless of feature readiness.
(remember if you want a certain feature that was merged post-release, you
can always pull from the master branch as we are all in agreement that
master must ALWAYS be releasable).

Here is the schedule that was proposed/agreed:

   - Quarterly minor releases (unless a Major is warranted and will be
   determined on case-by-case basis)
   - Monthly patch releases

Example:

1/1/22: 6.1.0
2/1/22: 6.1.1
3/1/22: 6.1.2
4/1/22: 6.2.0
5/1/22: 6.2.1
6/1/22: 6.2.2
7/1/22: 6.3.0
8/1/22: 6.3.1
9/1/22: 6.3.2
10/1/22: 7.0.0 <-- Apparently something "big" or non backwards compatible
got merged (i.e. API version removal)
11/1/22: 7.0.1
12/1/22: 7.0.2

Thanks,

Jeremy

Re: ATC Release Schedule

Posted by Zach Hoffman <zr...@apache.org>.
As opposed to aiming for a new major release every quarter? Yeah, the
new way you're proposing makes more sense to me.

-Zach