Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Andrew Ballantine <ac...@willowbrook.co.uk> on 2007/01/24 12:37:20 UTC

Wiki issue

Hi,

I have noticed that quite a few of the wiki pages extend wider than the
browser page.

Is it not possible to set the wiki HTML so that it always proportions the
content to the current size of the window?

The reason for the request is that it quite difficult to read a long
document with having to constantly shift the window from side to side.

An example of this is:
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Contributors+Best+Practices

I am using Firefox 2.0.0.1 on Windows2000 if that makes any difference.
Internet V6 does the same.

Kind regards,

Andrew Ballantine.
20:40

Re: Wiki issue

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Andrew,

If Tim's guess is right as an awkward workaround you may try to reduce your font size when you encounter this peculiar problem (Ctrl + mouse wheel do that in a glance)

Jacques

  #1 we can't help you with :) - #2 is probably something more in the way Confluence handles verbatim text.  In this particulart case, we would have a few options:

  1. Make the example path shorter
  2. See where & why Confluence handles these this way.

  I'm guessing that it's easier to do #1, but maybe someone know why verbatim-esque things are handle this way.  I checked a bunch of other wiki formats and they ALL pretty much handle them in a similar manner because it's just following what the user asked - to display something exactly the way that they see it.

  Anyways, I hope this helps explain the mystery.

  Cheers,
  Tim
  --
  Tim Ruppert
  HotWax Media

  o:801.649.6594
  f:801.649.6595

Re: Wiki issue

#1 we can't help you with :) - #2 is probably something more in the
way Confluence handles verbatim text.  In this particulart case, we
would have a few options:

RE: Wiki issue

Posted by Andrew Ballantine <ac...@willowbrook.co.uk>.
Tim,

>Andrew, I don't see how any of these responses to your Wiki message could
> have been viewed as anything but helpful?  Please explain when you get a
>chance.

I read your response as a diagnosis which I didn't fully understand and am
not in a position to implement because the page is read only. So I cannot
fix the problem on that page at the wiki level.

>As for editing it, I believe this is just one of those very few pages that
>has restrictions as to who can edit it because it contains VERY important
>information that they don't want to risk being modified by spammers, etc.

Agreed. However the problem is with Confluence. The rendering of the page is
down to their software. I am simply the poor mug who is reporting a User
Interface problem that makes it difficult for me and, presumably, others to
read this VERY important information.

>My recommendations would be the following:

>1. Up your resolution.  My 15" laptop browser has a resolution of 1440x900

My maximum resolution is 1024 x 768

>2. Try Jacques suggestion and make your font size smaller in your window

I can just about read it at that size, but it will cause eye stain and is
just a workaround. The width of the browser display should not grow when the
text size is changed. As I said HTML problem that only Confluence can fix.

>3. Submit a JIRA issue asking for the example to be changed.

Will do, but I get the feeling nothing will get done.

>4. any others

Not sure what you mean by 4.

Kind regards,

Andrew Ballantine.

20:40

Re: Wiki issue

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Wiki issue

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Andrew,

From: "Andrew Ballantine" <ac...@willowbrook.co.uk>
> Hi,
> Thanks for your observations, but I don't really understand how you expect
> me to fix it.
> I regret that none of your comments are any help as the example page is not
> editable.

Did you try them ?

> I also note that even the sandbox page is slightly wider than the browser
> window resulting in a horizontal slider at the bottom of the screen. Poor
> HTML design again.

A way to help to resolve this problem would be to explain the problem to Attlassian (Confluence editor). This link might help
http://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=12

> I use a 1024 x 768 screen which is quite enough on a standard 17" screen.
>
> I must also say that this new wiki is not particularly user friendly. Yes,
> one can get used to it, but there is plenty of wiki software out there that
> is intuitive. Hey Ho, I'll struggle on, but all these hurdles are
> depressing.

Do you know one that allow to set permissions by document ? This one of the main reason of Conflucence choice. You may find more in
Nabble : http://www.nabble.com/forum/Search.jtp?local=y&forum=2740&query=Confluence

> Everyone seems so defensive on this project I am finding it is difficult to
> contribute as I am getting to the point where I am not sure I dare to
> comment for fear of another lashing or negative response.

Don't be shy ;o) We are here to help ! If nobody was never complaining that would not be anymore democracy.

Jacques

RE: Wiki issue

Re: Wiki issue

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.