Posted to dev@hawq.apache.org by Gagan Brahmi <ga...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/10 19:33:57 UTC

PXF service could not be reached

Hi Team,

I was wondering if someone has encountered this problem before.

While trying to work with PXF on hawq 2.0 I am encountering the following error:

gagan=# CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE ext_get_foo (i int, bar text) LOCATION
('pxf://my-hadoop-cluster:50070/foo_bar?profile=HdfsTextSimple')
FORMAT 'text' (delimiter '|' null 'null');

gagan=# SELECT * FROM ext_get_foo ;
ERROR:  remote component error (404): PXF service could not be
reached. PXF is not running in the tomcat container (libchurl.c:878)

The same happens when I try to write to an external table using PXF.

I believe the above error signifies that PXF service isn't running or
unavailable. But PXF is running on port 51200.

Curl response works fine as well:

# curl -s http://localhost:51200/pxf/v0
Wrong version v0, supported version is v14

PXF is build using gradlew and installed as RPM files. I also have
tomcat 7.0.62 installed with the PXF packages.

The following is how PXF is running on the instance:

pxf      21405  0.3  2.8 825224 115164 ?       Sl   02:07   0:10
/usr/java/latest/bin/java
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/var/pxf/pxf-service/conf/logging.properties
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
-Xmx512M -Xss256K -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/var/pxf/pxf-service/endorsed
-classpath /var/pxf/pxf-service/bin/bootstrap.jar:/var/pxf/pxf-service/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
-Dcatalina.base=/var/pxf/pxf-service
-Dcatalina.home=/var/pxf/pxf-service
-Djava.io.tmpdir=/var/pxf/pxf-service/temp
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start

I do not have apache-tomcat running. Not sure how are the two
interrelated. But the RPM file created by gradlew requires tomcat for
pxf-service.

I would appreciate any inputs into this problem.

Regards,
Gagan Brahmi

Re: PXF service could not be reached

Posted by Gagan Brahmi <ga...@gmail.com>.
Finally got it to work!

gagan=# INSERT INTO ext_put_foo VALUES (1, 'Gagan');
INSERT 0 1
gagan=# INSERT INTO ext_put_foo SELECT i, 'test_' || i FROM
generate_series(1,10000) AS i;
INSERT 0 10000
gagan=# SELECT * FROM ext_get_foo LIMIT 10;
 i  |   bar
----+---------
  8 | test_8
 16 | test_16
 23 | test_23
 31 | test_31
 39 | test_39
 47 | test_47
 55 | test_55
 63 | test_63
 71 | test_71
 79 | test_79
(10 rows)

The problem was some funky IP configuration due to multiple ethernet
interfaces added. Forced the machine to use the interface which can
route back to itself and things started to work.

Appreciate your help!

Regards,
Gagan Brahmi

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 6:58 PM, Gagan Brahmi <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I made some progress (or so I think) and have a different error now.
> The interesting part remains the write into HDFS. The SELECT query
> continue to work fine.
>
> Here's the error I am receiving now.
>
> gagan=# INSERT INTO ext_put_foo VALUES (1, 'Gagan Brahmi');
> ERROR:  remote component error (0): Failed to connect to
> my-hadoop-cluster port 51200: Connection timed out (libchurl.c:878)
> (seg0 my-hadoop-cluster:40000 pid=25073) (dispatcher.c:1753)
>
> The select query continue to work and fetch results from HDFS.
>
> gagan=# SELECT * FROM ext_get_foo ;
>   i  |      bar
> -----+---------------
>  100 |  Gagan Brahmi
>  101 |  Another Emp
>  102 |  Some More
> (3 rows)
>
> The telnet for 51200 works fine from the segment & master (single node
> machine) so does the connection to hdfs (8020).
>
> I have attached some logs and Stack Trace found in Master and Segment logs.
>
> Is there a simpler way to test if pxf-service with it's classpaths and
> jar able to write to HDFS?
>

> Regards,
> Gagan Brahmi
>
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Ting(Goden) Yao <ty...@pivotal.io> wrote:
>> Gagan - did you see any error in HAWQ logs or Hadoop logs?
>> This doesn't look like a PXF issue.
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 8:59 AM Gagan Brahmi <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> And this is what I mean when I say that fetch (select) seems to be
>>> working. I place a dummy file to run select query and it provides the
>>> results.
>>>
>>> hdfs@my-hadoop-cluster:~> cat /tmp/test_fetch
>>> 100 | Random Value
>>> 101 | Another Random
>>> hdfs@my-hadoop-cluster:~> hadoop fs -put /tmp/test_fetch /tmp/foo_bar/
>>> hdfs@suse11-workplace:~> logout
>>> my-hadoop-cluster:~ # su - gpadmin
>>> gpadmin@my-hadoop-cluster:~> source /usr/local/hawq/greenplum_path.sh
>>> gpadmin@my-hadoop-cluster:~> psql -p 10432 gagan
>>> psql (8.2.15)
>>> Type "help" for help.
>>>
>>> gagan=# SELECT * FROM ext_get_foo ;
>>>   i  |       bar
>>> -----+-----------------
>>>  100 |  Random Value
>>>  101 |  Another Random
>>> (2 rows)
>>>
>>> gagan=#
>>>

>>> Table DDLs
>>>
>>> gagan=# CREATE WRITABLE EXTERNAL TABLE ext_put_foo (i int, bar text)
>>> LOCATION

Posted by Gagan Brahmi <ga...@gmail.com>.
Finally got it to work!

Posted by Gagan Brahmi <ga...@gmail.com>.