Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Jason Riedy <ej...@cise.ufl.edu> on 1997/07/26 02:00:03 UTC

documentation/920: Advise an htaccess file in /...

>Number:         920
>Category:       documentation
>Synopsis:       Advise an htaccess file in /...
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
As http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#options states that with
FollowSymLinks, the directory isn't re-written and compared.  Thus,
if a user does something like `ln -s / root' in the right place,
folks can walk the directory tree.

This isn't a big deal for places (like us) which give CGI access, but
your docs advise a <directory /> deny... </directory> clause already.
The User* bit in 1.3 is a nice idea, but a single-line htaccess (deny
from all) is simpler.  And some folks here already cross-link in the
file system, so I can't use SymLinksIfOwnerMatch.

Of course, this assumes you allow htaccess files under user directories.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Eh, it's not a huge deal.  No response necessary, either

Re: documentation/920: Advise an htaccess file in /...

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Jason Riedy wrote:

> As http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#options states that with
> FollowSymLinks, the directory isn't re-written and compared.  Thus,
> if a user does something like `ln -s / root' in the right place,
> folks can walk the directory tree.

That's what SymLinksIfOwnerMatch is intended to deal with.

>   And some folks here already cross-link in the
> file system, so I can't use SymLinksIfOwnerMatch.

Why can't the symlink just be changed to be the same uid as the destination
of the link?  I use this all the time in my test setups.

Dean