Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> on 2004/01/21 13:48:03 UTC

Allow anonymous issue creation in JIRA? (Re: [PROPOSAL] Jakarta Commons moving to JIRA)

(from a commons-dev thread where it has strayed OT..)

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 06:54:11PM -0500, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
> > > Any reason for forcing people to register to put a bug in? It's just an
> > > administration choice for JIRA if I recall.
> >
> > I'll remind you that bugzilla is configured the same way.  You must be
> > logged in if you want to create a bug report.  The difference is that
> > bugzilla has a link, but you get redirected to a login page, first, whereas
> > Jira doesn't give you the option unless you are logged in.
>
> Yeah, it's always a grumble of mine with public bug tracking systems. I
> wanted to quickly be a good citizen and make a note, not join the
> community.

+1

Frequently I've thought "sod it" and gone elsewhere when confronted by a
Yet Another login form.

Given that any change is mailed to the relevant project list, so from an
oversight POV, making an anonymous bug entry seems no different to
editing a Wiki page.  So is there any reason we shouldn't enable
anonymous issue posting/commenting, if projects want it?

Alternatively, the 'Create Issue' link in JIRA can be exposed by
commenting out the permission check in includes/decorators/bodytop.jsp.
Users clicking on 'Create Issue':

http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/secure/CreateIssue!default.jspa

will be asked to log in, and then redirected back to the create issue
page.

--Jeff

RE: Allow anonymous issue creation in JIRA? (Re: [PROPOSAL] Jakarta Commons moving to JIRA)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Jeff Turner wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
> > > I'll remind you that bugzilla is configured the same way.  You must be
> > > logged in if you want to create a bug report.  The difference is that
> > > bugzilla has a link, but you get redirected to a login page, first,
> > > whereas Jira doesn't give you the option unless you are logged in.
> > Yeah, it's always a grumble of mine with public bug tracking systems. I
> > wanted to quickly be a good citizen and make a note, not join the
> > community.

> is there any reason we shouldn't enable anonymous issue
> posting/commenting, if projects want it?

Not as far as I'm concerned, although it would negate the use of "current
reporter" permission for such entries.

> Alternatively, the 'Create Issue' link in JIRA can be exposed by
> commenting out the permission check in includes/decorators/bodytop.jsp.
> Users clicking on 'Create Issue' will be asked to log in, and then
> redirected back to the create issue page.

That would be OK, too.  Others may have different preferences and
considerations.

What happens if we allow anonymous posting as a default, but a given project
requires jira-user?

	--- Noel