Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ismail berrada <is...@yahoo.fr> on 2016/03/21 16:51:42 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.2 End of life

Hi

Can someone tell me when Apache 2.2 EOL will occurs ?
Regards

[users@httpd] Re: Apache 2.2 End of life

Posted by Good guy <xf...@hotmail.com>.
On 21/03/2016 15:51, ismail berrada wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can someone tell me when Apache 2.2 EOL will occurs ?
>
> Regards

I thought it is already over.  No more work is being done on it so as
far as I am concened it is over and people should move to 2.4.x. The
current version is 2.4.18.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2 End of life

Posted by ismail berrada <is...@yahoo.fr>.
 Thanks for the answer.

    Le Lundi 21 mars 2016 17h07, Michael A. Peters <mp...@domblogger.net> a écrit :

 On 03/21/2016 08:51 AM, ismail berrada wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can someone tell me when Apache 2.2 EOL will occurs ?
>
> Regards

I can't find anything official but 1.3 went EOL in 2010 and 2.0 went EOL
in 2013.

Not enough data points to say there's a trend, but it wouldn't surprise
me if 2.2 doesn't have much time left.

I doubt it will be EOL before the next major version (2.6 ??) is released.

If you are running 2.2.x I would recommend upgrading to 2.4.18 simply
because HTTP/2 has a lot of advantages.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2 End of life

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Michael A. Peters
<mp...@domblogger.net> wrote:
> I can't find anything official but 1.3 went EOL in 2010 and 2.0 went EOL in
> 2013.

> $ GET -m HEAD "http://$one_of_my_production_servers/"
403 Forbidden
Connection: close
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 17:26:12 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.42 (Unix)

So you're saying we should upgrade? ;)

PS: Not client facing, and running a ~300 KLOC custom C++ module that
we'll never get approval to port to 2.4 or replace with something
built this decade. Everything else runs 2.4, but still it makes me
grimace :)

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2 End of life

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.
Hello!

> On 3/21/2016 4:07 PM, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>
>> On 03/21/2016 08:51 AM, ismail berrada wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me when Apache 2.2 EOL will occurs ?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>

>> I can't find anything official but 1.3 went EOL in 2010 and 2.0 went EOL
>> in 2013.
>>
>> Not enough data points to say there's a trend, but it wouldn't surprise
>> me if 2.2 doesn't have much time left.
>>
>> I doubt it will be EOL before the next major version (2.6 ??) is released.
>>
>> If you are running 2.2.x I would recommend upgrading to 2.4.18 simply
>> because HTTP/2 has a lot of advantages.
>>
>> But make sure you read the documentation on how to set it up before you
> blindly switch as the there are some
> major differences in the conf files from 2.2 to 2.4 (and some changes to
> coding if you are writing handlers/filters)

This is a great thread since we are all actively pushing everybody to
migrate towards 2.4. The 2.2 release is not updated anymore and all the new
features/bug-fixes are for 2.4, including HTTP/2 stuff as said above.

There is a nice page to start thinking about the migration:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/upgrading.html

To everybody: please update to 2.4, and send an email on this list if you
need help :)

Luca

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2 End of life

Posted by James Smith <js...@sanger.ac.uk>.