Posted to users@zeppelin.apache.org by Suvayu Ali <fa...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/22 15:48:03 UTC

HTTP ERROR: 503

Hi Zeppelin users,

I'm trying out Zeppelin before I can deploy it on Amazon EMR, but I seem
to be running into the error mentioned in the subject.  In the page it
says: "Problem accessing /. Reason: Service. Unavailable".  I'm using
the pre-compiled download with Spark 2.1.1 and Hadoop 2.7.3 (on a single
node, my laptop).  I can start a spark (or pyspark) shell, use HDFS, and
run small spark jobs.

Some searching tells me, similar http errors are common, but none of the
resolutions seem to work for me.  What I have tried include checking if
the webapps directory is writable:

  $ ll -d webapps/
  drwxrwxr-x. 1 jallad jallad 12 Jul 22 20:42 webapps/

/tmp is writable:

  $ ll -d /tmp/Jetty_*
  drwxrwxr-x. 3 jallad jallad 60 Jul 22 20:41 /tmp/Jetty_0_0_0_0_50070_hdfs____w2cu08
  drwxrwxr-x. 3 jallad jallad 60 Jul 22 20:41 /tmp/Jetty_0_0_0_0_50090_secondary____y6aanv
  drwxrwxr-x. 4 jallad jallad 80 Jul 22 20:42 /tmp/Jetty_0_0_0_0_8042_node____19tj0x
  drwxrwxr-x. 4 jallad jallad 80 Jul 22 20:42 /tmp/Jetty_0_0_0_0_8088_cluster____u0rgz3
  drwxrwxr-x. 3 jallad jallad 60 Jul 22 20:41 /tmp/Jetty_localhost_39637_datanode____5b8f6j

You can find the logs here:

- zeppelin-jallad-host.log: https://pastebin.com/mByZ80DR
- zeppelin-jallad-host.out: https://pastebin.com/6dwkgnsn

So what am I missing?  Can someone help?

Btw, I also quickly tried out Zeppelin on EMR, and I seem to be getting
an empty zeppelin home page, with no links to create a notebook.  That's
what prompted me to try it out on my laptop.

Suvayu

Re: HTTP ERROR: 503

Posted by Suvayu Ali <fa...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

On Sat, Aug 05, 2017 at 11:03:01AM +0900, Park Hoon wrote:
> Hi, I read the whole log messages and found that you have invalid
> interpreter-setting.json
>
> Please check that `conf/interpreter-setting.json` is valid.

Thanks a lot!  That was it.  I removed the conf/interepreter.json and started Zeppelin, and it is working now.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

Re: HTTP ERROR: 503

Posted by Park Hoon <1a...@gmail.com>.
Hi, I read the whole log messages and found that you have invalid
interpreter-setting.json

Please check that `conf/interpreter-setting.json` is valid.

   1. Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException:
   com.google.gson.internal.LinkedTreeMap cannot be cast to
   com.google.gson.internal.StringMap
   2.     at
   org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.InterpreterSettingManager.loadFromFile(InterpreterSettingManager.java:172)
   3.     at
   org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.InterpreterSettingManager.init(InterpreterSettingManager.java:340)
   4.     at
   org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.InterpreterSettingManager.<init>(InterpreterSettingManager.java:151)
   5.     at
   org.apache.zeppelin.server.ZeppelinServer.<init>(ZeppelinServer.java:143)

As you know, HTTP Code 503 is ocurred because Zeppelin failed to start.
(Service Unavailable)

Regard,