Posted to dev@abdera.apache.org by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> on 2006/06/23 00:35:09 UTC

License of Test Files

Hi there.  I'm working on the Abdera
(http://incubator.apache.org/abdera/) test suite, moving it from a
model where it parses various atom feeds out on the internet to a
model where the tests are stored in its source tree.  A big chunk of
Abdera's tests are based on parsing the atom tests from
feedparser.org.  I'd like to import those files into our source tree,
but before I do that I just wanted to verify that the license they're
distributed under is compatible.

There doesn't seem to be an actual copy of the license in the nightly
zip files, and while it says in
http://www.feedvalidator.org/about.html that it's under the python
license, but it doesn't say what version of python, or link to an
actual copy of that license.  Since python has been under various
licenses over the years, it seems somewhat unclear.

So rather than digging around python.org and hoping I hit the right
license, I was wondering if you could clarify for me what the actual
license is.

Thanks,

-garrett

Re: [FeedValidator] License of Test Files

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 9/25/06, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> Garrett Rooney wrote:
> > Hi there.  I'm working on the Abdera
> > (http://incubator.apache.org/abdera/) test suite, moving it from a
> > model where it parses various atom feeds out on the internet to a
> > model where the tests are stored in its source tree.  A big chunk of
> > Abdera's tests are based on parsing the atom tests from
> > feedparser.org.  I'd like to import those files into our source tree,
> > but before I do that I just wanted to verify that the license they're
> > distributed under is compatible.
> >
> > There doesn't seem to be an actual copy of the license in the nightly
> > zip files, and while it says in
> > http://www.feedvalidator.org/about.html that it's under the python
> > license, but it doesn't say what version of python, or link to an
> > actual copy of that license.  Since python has been under various
> > licenses over the years, it seems somewhat unclear.
> >
> > So rather than digging around python.org and hoping I hit the right
> > license, I was wondering if you could clarify for me what the actual
> > license is.
>
> I've updated the Feed Validator SVN and site to indicate that all code,
> documentation, and tests are available under the MIT license:
>
> http://feedvalidator.org/LICENSE

Thanks Sam!

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> Hi there.  I'm working on the Abdera
> (http://incubator.apache.org/abdera/) test suite, moving it from a
> model where it parses various atom feeds out on the internet to a
> model where the tests are stored in its source tree.  A big chunk of
> Abdera's tests are based on parsing the atom tests from
> feedparser.org.  I'd like to import those files into our source tree,
> but before I do that I just wanted to verify that the license they're
> distributed under is compatible.
>
> There doesn't seem to be an actual copy of the license in the nightly
> zip files, and while it says in
> http://www.feedvalidator.org/about.html that it's under the python
> license, but it doesn't say what version of python, or link to an
> actual copy of that license.  Since python has been under various
> licenses over the years, it seems somewhat unclear.
>
> So rather than digging around python.org and hoping I hit the right
> license, I was wondering if you could clarify for me what the actual
> license is.

I've updated the Feed Validator SVN and site to indicate that all code,
documentation, and tests are available under the MIT license:

http://feedvalidator.org/LICENSE

- Sam Ruby