Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/29 14:51:34 UTC

[collections] breaking changes

Hi All:

Updating Commons Collections' commons-parent from version 43 to 45 causes
the build to fail due to the use of japicmp which reports:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.7:site (default-site) on
project commons-collections4: Error generating
japicmp-maven-plugin:0.11.0:cmp-report report: Failed to generate report:
Breaking the build because there is at least one incompatibility:
org.apache.commons.collections4.IteratorUtils.peekingIterator(java.util.Iterator):METHOD_RETURN_TYPE_CHANGED,org.apache.commons.collections4.IteratorUtils.pushbackIterator(java.util.Iterator):METHOD_RETURN_TYPE_CHANGED
-> [Help 1]

This is caused by:

- [COLLECTIONS-676] Modify IteratorUtils.pushbackIterator signature to
return PushbackIterator.
- [COLLECTIONS-675] Modify IteratorUtils.peekingIterator signature to
return PeekingIterator.

Which are reasonable changes IMO.

Does anyone object to these changes and adding exceptions to allow japicmp to
not fail the build?

Thank you,
Gary

Re: [collections] breaking changes

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 6:52 AM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> These two changes will happen when we go to version 5, the next major
> version, which will also change the package name and maven artifact ID.
> There are no other BC breaking changes ATM, so I took them out of master
> since the next release is 4.2.

FWIW, I'd like to see 4.2 release as soon as we release new versions our
build plugin and parent POM.

Gary

Gary

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.

Posted by Dave Brosius <db...@baybroadband.net>.

Posted by Paul King <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul King <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Burka <pe...@quux.net>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Yep, that's no good. I'll revert.

Posted by Paul King <pa...@gmail.com>.
I haven't looked into the IteratorUtils class at all but it's easy to
show binary incompatibility when changing the return type.
Compile this "library" class:

import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.List;

public class Lib {
    List getMyList() {
        return new ArrayList();
    }
}

Now compile this user of the library:

import java.util.List;

public class Main {
        doit(new Lib().getMyList());
    }

    private static void doit(List list) {
        System.out.println("list is: " + list);
    }
}

Ensure it all works:

> java -cp path_to_lib Main

Should output:

List is: []

Now change the Lib class to return ArrayList instead of List and
recompile just the Lib class (i.e. importantly don't recompile Main).

Now if you try:

> java -cp path_to_lib Main

you should see:

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.