Posted to dev@buildr.apache.org by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org> on 2008/04/25 04:25:10 UTC

Gem repository [Re: gradle]

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>
wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2008, at 11:30 AM, Matthieu Riou wrote:
>
>> Ruby [sic - Buildr] is
>> the first Apache project in Ruby and its binary release is going to be a
>> Ruby Gem. The way gems are distributed is by uploading them on Rubyforge,
>> at
>> least as long as Apache doesn't have its own gem server (which would be
>> entirely possible but that's another story). That's very much like Maven
>> artifacts (mirrored on maven.org) I believe, except that for Maven the
>> process has been streamlined because it's already common practice.
>>

> I started Ruby work last year for Solr here:
>
>  <http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/solr/trunk/client/ruby/>
>
> solr-ruby is a Ruby library interacting with Solr that bundles into a gem
> and even bundles into a Rails plugin directory structure.  I've been
> manually updating RubyForge with local builds of the gem as unofficial (<
> 1.0) builds.

Ah we're not the first gem then, that's pretty nice to hear :)

> flare is a RoR plugin (enabling faceted browsing, full-text search, Ajax
> suggest) for Solr.
>
> I'd love to have Apache support Ruby infrastructure-wise in terms of being
> an official gem server, etc.
>
> So count me in for supporting (and helping if I can) in these efforts to
> Rubyify Apache a bit more :)

I'm thinking it wouldn't be too hard, there's a little script in RubyGems to
generate the index. So all it would take is a public directory and a little
cron job. Then there would be mirroring to worry about though...

The thing is a 2 gems repository is not really a repository :)

Matthieu