Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Brown <da...@davidwbrown.name> on 2013/12/20 20:11:10 UTC

tc 7.0.47 manager-gui role works on 32 but not 64 Ubuntu 12.04 (401)

Howdy,

Extensive Googling for manager-gui role not working for the same
environment finds no solutions.

Is this a known issue? out-of-the box install of TC 7.047 on 64 bit
12.04 Ubuntu returns a 401.

The same version installed on 32 bit Ubuntu 12.04 manage-gui role brings
up the manager page OK.

The server is running @ http://localhost:8080 but not
http://localhost:8080/manager/html with the standard page returning
howto edit tomcat-users.xml

However, following the instructions to the letter plus variations
gleaned from the net fail.

I have been installing TC as a development server for some years and I
have never had the tomcat-users.xml config fail.

Any ideas, suggestions welcomed.

Re: tc 7.0.47 manager-gui role works on 32 but not 64 Ubuntu 12.04 (401)

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: tc 7.0.47 manager-gui role works on 32 but not 64 Ubuntu 12.04 (401)

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2013/12/20 David Brown <da...@davidwbrown.name>:
> Howdy,
>
> Extensive Googling for manager-gui role not working for the same environment
> finds no solutions.
>
> Is this a known issue? out-of-the box install of TC 7.047 on 64 bit 12.04
> Ubuntu returns a 401.
>
> The same version installed on 32 bit Ubuntu 12.04 manage-gui role brings up
> the manager page OK.
>
> The server is running @ http://localhost:8080 but not
> http://localhost:8080/manager/html with the standard page returning howto
> edit tomcat-users.xml
>
> However, following the instructions to the letter plus variations gleaned
> from the net fail.
>
> I have been installing TC as a development server for some years and I have
> never had the tomcat-users.xml config fail.
>
> Any ideas, suggestions welcomed.

You edited a wrong file?
You forgot to restart Tomcat?

The file is not readable (permissions), or contains broken XML (not
well-formed) or there is a typo, or the value is commented-out?

You entered a wrong password 5 times in a row and are now being
rejected by LockOutRealm?

You configured a different Realm so the original one is overwritten (shadowed)?

Have you looked into your log files?

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko