Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by "Gare, Trefor" <tg...@ue.com.au> on 2002/04/03 03:45:29 UTC

How to access initParameters in the dbtags library?

Hi all,

Second day on custom tags and I'm having trouble accessing something the
docs say I should be able to.
I'm using the jakarta dbtags library and attempting to set the database url,
driver, userId and password in the web.xml as initParameters as the docs
suggest is possible.
However I can't locate where what or how these initParameters are set.  They
don't seem to be normal context-params.. can anybody set me straight?
The taglib itself is working fine, I just would rather store these params
somewhere central.

I'm using Tomcat 3.3 and the relevant bits of m web.xml currently looks like
this:

  <taglib>
    <taglib-uri>http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/dbtags</taglib-uri>
    <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/dbtags.tld</taglib-location>
  </taglib>
  <taglib>
    <taglib-uri>/dbtags</taglib-uri>
    <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/lib/dbtags.jar</taglib-location>
  </taglib>

  <context-param>
    <init-param>
        <param-name>dbURL</param-name>
        <param-value>jdbc:twtds:sqlserver://blah/blah</param-value>
        <description>blah blah </description>
    </init-param>
 </context-param>

and the DBtags docs suggest I should be able to do this:
Instead of including your database URL, driver name, user id, or password
inside your tag body, you may optionally use the "initParameter" attribute:
<%-- store your connection info in the web.xml file --%>
<sql:connection id="conn1">
  <sql:url initParameter="dbURL"/>
  <sql:driver initParameter="mysqlDriver"/>
  <sql:userId initParameter="dbUserId"/>
  <sql:password initParameter="dbPassword"/>
</sql:connection>

Tref Gare
Web Developer MCSD/SCJP
eCommerce Group