Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu> on 2002/04/16 06:31:15 UTC

this xml thang. ;)

Can someone please learn me how to generate the .html's from the .xml's?

The particular example I'm working on is docs/manual/mod/worker.xml

Feeling like a moron,
--Cliff  =-)

Re: this xml thang. ;)

Posted by andrew mejia <me...@yahoo.co.uk>.
 --- Liew Cow Yuan - USSD-CSSG <cy...@csam.com.my>
wrote: > Dear All,

> I am one of the Systems Engineer that works for a
> local IT co. in Malaysia.
> I would to learn something here indepth but I have
> no knowledge of Java or
> any programming. Therefore I need guidelines of how
> and where to start. I
> have downloaded the apache from sunfreeware and
> don't know what to do next.
> I can understand what have been in the discussion
> loop but how do i go about
> reaching where u guys have been right now.
>
> regards
> Audrey
[andrew]$  well, correct me if i am wrong, All, but i
do not believe this is the list/forum for
installation...  is this correct?  i made that mistake
quite a while back when asking a 'compile' related
question.

Audrey, i would be happy to email w/you regarding
this,
however...  you can email my private address if you
like.

[andrew]$

ps> what ver of Solaris?  what ver of Apache?  do you
have the package, or are you installing from source?
do you have gcc?

Re: this xml thang. ;)

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.
On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Liew Cow Yuan - USSD-CSSG wrote:

> I am one of the Systems Engineer that works for a local IT co. in Malaysia.
> I would to learn something here indepth but I have no knowledge of Java or
> any programming. Therefore I need guidelines of how and where to start. I
> have downloaded the apache from sunfreeware and don't know what to do next.
> I can understand what have been in the discussion loop but how do i go about
> reaching where u guys have been right now.

So I guess you're saying that you're trying to get an Apache server set up
and you want to know how to get started, right?  This mailing list is for
discussion about writing the documentation, not support... take a look at
http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html for that.  But before you post
there, you'll want to look through the config file (httpd.conf) and see
what's there and read through the manual
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/ for Apache 2.0,
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/ for Apache 1.3).

Hope this helps,
Cliff

Re: this xml thang. ;)

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/docsformat.html
>
> AHA!  :)
>
> > In short, grab Xalan and Ant, stick them in your CLASSPATH (or in a
> > lib dir underneath style/), and run style/build.sh.
>
> Ohhh, style/.  That's the part I was missing.  I knew I was looking for
> Xalan and Ant and build.sh, because I had to figure all this out for the
> httpd-site updates as you mention.  But I couldn't find build.sh.  Shoulda
> just done a find.  :)
>
> Thanks Justin!

Yep, thanks Justin.  The docs are there, but they aren't perfectly
accurate.  There is also a problem that the current build.sh craps out on
me because of some bug in stylesheet preloading in Xalan-J.  I haven't
figured that out yet.  It always succeeds if I transform docs one at a
time.

I certainly don't consider the XML build process to be "finished".  It
still needs some work.  I'm hoping someone with better ideas than me will
take a look at it.  Otherwise, I'll try to get back to it eventually.

Joshua.

Re: this xml thang. ;)

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.

Re: this xml thang. ;)

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 12:31:15AM -0400, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> Can someone please learn me how to generate the .html's from the .xml's?

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/docsformat.html

The docs group writes docs.  =)

IIRC, you do the following (Joshua will bash me if I'm wrong):

In short, grab Xalan and Ant, stick them in your CLASSPATH (or in a
lib dir underneath style/), and run style/build.sh.

Very similar to our httpd-site repository, but we don't place the
jar files in CVS.

Step-by-step docs might be worthy.  -- justin