Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by uprooter <up...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/01 18:03:03 UTC

pre-commit hook for project version.

Hi.
I'm trying to implement an automated mechanism for creating a build version
of  a big project.
The problem is that there are several kinds of IDE's involved so I want the
server to do the version increment by modifying a dedicated file (lets say
version.h)  where I can keep the version number and auto increment it on
every commit.
I try with svnput and putfile.py, but both of them increment the revision
since they commit.thus  incrementing the revision by 2 on each user commit.
Is there a way to modify that file from pre-commit without incrementing the
revision?
Any other ideas on how to implement this on the server?

Re: pre-commit hook for project version.

Posted by Matt imMute Sickler <im...@msk4.ath.cx>.
uprooter wrote:
> [...]
> something will force him to use that build driver ?
>

> On Wednesday, 2 בApril 2008 00:18:43 you wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 1:55 PM, uprooter begee <up...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi hari.
>>> Thanks for the reply.
>>> Client side is just not a solution.
>>> one missconfigured client can make a versioning issue that will
>>> eventually cost more then commercial VC software. :)
>>> There must be a way to really hook the commit and not pre/post commit
>>> hooks.
>>> Or, alternatively  , to modify the raw data without committing  in a
>>> safe manner.
>>> What about webdav? will svn let me overwrite files without commit this
>>> way ?
>>> And the svnput.c Can I tweak it to let it just do the putting part
>>> without the commit?
>> As John said, don't modify it in the pre/post commit. I do not know if you
>> can use svnput.c or a webdav interface to update the repository without
>> doing a 'commit'. I highly doubt that svn would allow you to do that. For
>> me that will be a risk and not a feature.
>>
>> One thing that you may be confusing is the whole "client-side" part. I am
>> not sure what you mean when you say "one *misconfigured client* can...".
>> The solution discussed in the FAQ link is not a subversion client
>> configuration. This is a script that you write and place it into
>> subversion. But the script acts not on the files in the server, but on the
>> files checked out on the client (exactly like a build script).
>>
>> For example, you can have a driver build script, say build.xml. This script
>> calls appropriate lower level build file (make, ant, whatever is the
>> associated file for C# etc) according to who is building it or which
>> project it is building etc. Before it calls the lower level build file,
>> this build.xml will use the 'svnversion' command to create a version file (
>> version.h, or version.java -- I don't know.. something that can be used by
>> all projects).
>>
>> You should then check-in build.xml into your repository and everyone in
>> your team will use this file. Everyone gets the same file from the
>> repository and will execute the same code; and there is no question of
>> 'misconfiguration'.
>>
>> hope it helps,
>>
>> regards
>> -Hari
>>
>>> On

>>> incrementing

>>> about

>>> incrementing the revision (2 revision bump as you said), then I don't
>>> know how to do it.

>>> hassle or not. I suppose your team should have a build system -- a
>>> makefile, an ant file (or two) etc. Either you should incorporate the
>>> suggestions in the link (run 'svnversion' and write it into a file etc)
>>> in each of these build files or you should have a driver build file that
>>> drives each build file. And the 'svnversion' thing can be placed only

No, the version.h file would only be changed whenever the project is
built.  "version.h" is never checked into the repo and you never have to
worry about updating a number.

No, the other build systems wouldnt use the driver: rather the driver
would call those systems.

A simpler solution is to just have a pre-build script for each project
type that creates version.h from svnversion on each build.  You have to
configure it once for each project type, then you can just forget about it.

PS. Think of your suggestion like this:  take whatever "problems" or
"hassle" that our solution would cause you, multiply that by 10, add 15
(to make test suites) and thats how much work the svn devs would have to do.

Re: pre-commit hook for project version.

Posted by uprooter <up...@gmail.com>.
Hari.

Posted by John Peacock <jo...@havurah-software.org>.
uprooter begee wrote:
> Client side is just not a solution.
> one missconfigured client can make a versioning issue that will
> eventually cost more then commercial VC software. :)
> There must be a way to really hook the commit and not pre/post commit hooks.
> Or, alternatively  , to modify the raw data without committing  in a
> safe manner.
> What about webdav? will svn let me overwrite files without commit this way ?
> And the svnput.c Can I tweak it to let it just do the putting part
> without the commit?

You are missing what we are telling you: you cannot change *any* file
contents in pre-commit or post-commit without a separate commit.  This
must be resolved as a client-side issue, not a server-side issue.

Sorry...

John

Re: pre-commit hook for project version.

Posted by Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by uprooter begee <up...@gmail.com>.
Hi hari.

Posted by Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by uprooter <up...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Peacock <jo...@havurah-software.org>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Apr 2, 2008, at 09:27, uprooter wrote:

> SubWCRev can not help.
> If you take a look at the beginning of this thread you'll see that
> any kind
> of "client side" solution is not good for me,
> One reason is multiple development environments for the same project.
> Another reason is that due to the nature of the final product the
> developers
> find them self occasionally programming in a virtual machines,
> fixing some
> bugs and then commit from theer. so setting up a sane build script
> is not an
> option. not at all.
> I really want the server to do the work, either by committing without
> bumping the revision or by direct file access to the pseudo
> "version.h"
> file.
> Generally , any sever side solution that does not commit would help.

If you want to store a file in the repository which contains the
current revision, and you want the server to do so, then you're going
to be writing a post-commit script on the server which itself does
another commit, which will increase the repository revision. That's
all there is to it. This is not ideal, and it's not a good idea in
the first place, but if you insist on it, then that's how it is.

> I'm thinking of a solution. I'll share it with you if I get to
> something
> usable.

The solution is to use svnversion (or perhaps SubWCRev; I'm not
familiar with it) on the working copy on the client, at the time when
you need to know the working copy's revision number(s). Surely you
already have a build script on each type of client that you support.
You should be able to integrate calling svnversion / SubWCRev into
that build script where necessary.

Re: pre-commit hook for project version.

Posted by uprooter <up...@gmail.com>.
SubWCRev can not help.

Posted by Jean-Marc van Leerdam <j....@gmail.com>.
Hi uprooter,