Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Ed Fallin <ed...@earthlink.net> on 2016/09/03 02:25:10 UTC

Starting Introduction to Contributing to Apache OpenOffice Module

Hello there —

Having read an article in Ars about your difficulties keeping a large group on the project, I’d like to join.  It looks like you have a C++ code base, whereas my experience is primarily in C#.  I have touched on and read upon C++ though.  My day job is a dev in a C# base, and I’m doing some of my own stuff in that technology of an evening, primarily web-facing with an emphasis on using abstraction and design to enhance feature sets with fewer lines of code.  I’ve been programming professionally for about 5 years, I follow the principles of clean code and TDD in my work.

I’m located in California, SoCal to be specific.

C# notwithstanding, if you’d value my joining your work, I’d like to do a little bit here and there at first to get solid in C++, avoiding memory leaks and so on (if those are still an issue — is there a GC now?), perhaps with let’s say "enhanced review” from a tolerant mentor.  As time goes by I could address bigger topics with minimal support.

Is this reasonable?  Helpful?

Someone please let me know!

— Ed Fallin

Re: Starting Introduction to Contributing to Apache OpenOffice Module

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

> On Sep 3, 2016, at 09:41, Ed Fallin <ed...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> Hi there Phillip and Patricia —
>
> Thanks for your e-mails.  Is now the right time not to send to all?  I’m happy to avoid that but, I don’t want to be a lurker.

> I have a Mac and I have two Windows boxes, I don’t know the details but if people think it’s worth it, maybe I could install a Linux partition on one of those.  I use Visual Studio, now 2015 edition, and I’ve used Xcode with Obj-C and Swift a bit, but if there’s a free/ish version of another IDE you recommend, I can install that.

There is an urgent need for building and testing on Mac. It is our second most popular user platform, after Windows.

Posted by Ed Fallin <ed...@earthlink.net>.
Hi there Phillip and Patricia —

Thanks for your e-mails.  Is now the right time not to send to all?  I’m happy to avoid that but, I don’t want to be a lurker.

So, it’s interesting that some is C++ and some Java, and Yes I think the Java side will be easy to pick up, but I’ll aim to work on both.  My contributions may not be massive, but I will try to at least have a steadyish drip-drip-drip after ramp-up time.  Mixed metaphor.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
Welcome aboard, Ed.

More comments interleaved.

On 9/2/2016 11:44 PM, Phillip Rhodes wrote:
> Welcome to the project, Ed.  Don't sweat the lack of C++ experience.  Not
> everything is in C++, and
> you can pick up the C++ knowledge as you go.  I'm in a little bit of the
> same boat, as I *was* a C++
> programmer - about 15 years ago.   It's been quite a while for me, so I'm
> going to have to basically
> relearn C++ to get into AOO development.  But hey, it'll be a fun
> experience in it's own right anyway!

Specifically, some of the code is in Java, which a C# programmer may
pick up even quicker than C++.

> As to the rest of your questions, I'll defer to other more experienced
> members of the project to offer
> their commentary.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Phil
>
> This message optimized for indexing by NSA PRISM
>
> On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 10:25 PM, Ed Fallin <ed...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello there \u2014
>>
>> Having read an article in Ars about your difficulties keeping a large
>> group on the project, I\u2019d like to join.  It looks like you have a C++ code
>> base, whereas my experience is primarily in C#.  I have touched on and read
>> upon C++ though.  My day job is a dev in a C# base, and I\u2019m doing some of
>> my own stuff in that technology of an evening, primarily web-facing with an
>> emphasis on using abstraction and design to enhance feature sets with fewer
>> lines of code.  I\u2019ve been programming professionally for about 5 years, I
>> follow the principles of clean code and TDD in my work.
>>
>> I\u2019m located in California, SoCal to be specific.

Where in SoCal? I live in El Cajon, east side of San Diego.

>> C# notwithstanding, if you\u2019d value my joining your work, I\u2019d like to do a
>> little bit here and there at first to get solid in C++, avoiding memory
>> leaks and so on (if those are still an issue \u2014 is there a GC now?), perhaps
>> with let\u2019s say "enhanced review\u201d from a tolerant mentor.  As time goes by I
>> could address bigger topics with minimal support.
>>
>> Is this reasonable?  Helpful?

Very reasonable. Experience in any C-derived object-orientated language
is likely to be helpful.

What systems do you have available for development? Windows? Mac? Linux? ...

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com>.