Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Sankaran, Nambi" <ns...@ebay.com> on 2008/12/06 02:59:48 UTC

Compiling Subversion with SSL Support - not happening

Hello Folks

I am trying to build subversion using the source tarball in linux.
The build succeeds, but it is not linked with openssl correctly

$./svn
./svn: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot

I have used the following "configure" command,

./configure
--prefix=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/subversion/1.5.4/
--without-apxs  --with-ssl
--with-libs=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i/lib/
--includedir=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i/includ

Does anyone attempted to build svn + apr +  apr-util  + neon + openssl ?

It would help me a lot, if you can share the information to build svn
with openssl.

thanks
nambi

Re: Compiling Subversion with SSL Support - not happening

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 10:58:40AM +0000, Campbell Allan wrote:
> On Monday 15 Dec 2008, Sankaran, Nambi wrote:
> > Hi Stefen
> >
> > This is what I did,
> >
> > 1. downloaded suberversion-1.5.4.tar.gz
> > 2. unzipped the file
> > 3. downloaded subversion-deps-1.5.4.tar.gz
> > 4. unzipped this tar file in the same directory, where subversion is
> > unzipped
> > 5. deleted "serf" directory
> > 6. ran the following "configure" command
> >    ./configure
> > 	--prefix=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/subversion/1.5.4/
> >
> > 	--without-apxs
> > 	--with-ssl
> >
> > --with-libs=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i/
> >
> > --includedir=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i/includ
> > 	--disable-shared
> > This resutls in this error,
> >
> > config.status: creating subversion/svn_private_config.h
> > config.status: subversion/svn_private_config.h is unchanged
> > config.status: executing mkdir-init commands
> > configure: WARNING: Unrecognized options: --with-libs
> > configure: WARNING: we have configured without BDB filesystem support
> >

> > I have attached the log files.
> >
> > What is the right way to build svn with openssl support?
> >
> > Thanks
> > nambi
> >

> I've traditionally used the environment variables LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS. So the
> last step of my build goes something like:
>
> OPENSSL_INSTALL=/path/to/openssl
> LDFLAGS=-L$OPENSSL_INSTALL/lib
> CPPFLAGS=-I$OPENSSL_INSTALL/include
> CFLAGS=-fPIC
>
> export LDFLAGS CPPFLAGS CFLAGS
>
> ./configure --prefix=/path/to/svninstall --with-ssl

Hi Nambi,

sorry, I didn't see your last mail when I must have first received it.

The way Campbell described it may actually be the only way to get it working.
You have openssl installed in a location where the *neon* (not svn)
configure script won't pick it up automatically. With --with-ssl option
for Subversion's configure script simply causes --with-ssl to be passed
on to the neon configure script. Subversion itself does not link with
ssl (only indirectly, via neon).

The --with-libs option does not exist in the subversion configure
script, see ./configure --help.

Stefan

Re: Compiling Subversion with SSL Support - not happening

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Campbell Allan <ca...@ciboodle.com>.
On Monday 15 Dec 2008, Sankaran, Nambi wrote:
> Hi Stefen
>
> This is what I did,
>
> 1. downloaded suberversion-1.5.4.tar.gz
> 2. unzipped the file
> 3. downloaded subversion-deps-1.5.4.tar.gz
> 4. unzipped this tar file in the same directory, where subversion is
> unzipped
> 5. deleted "serf" directory
> 6. ran the following "configure" command
>    ./configure
> 	--prefix=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/subversion/1.5.4/
>
> 	--without-apxs
> 	--with-ssl
>
> --with-libs=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i/
>
> --includedir=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i/includ
> 	--disable-shared
> This resutls in this error,
>
> config.status: creating subversion/svn_private_config.h
> config.status: subversion/svn_private_config.h is unchanged
> config.status: executing mkdir-init commands
> configure: WARNING: Unrecognized options: --with-libs
> configure: WARNING: we have configured without BDB filesystem support
>

> I have attached the log files.
>
> What is the right way to build svn with openssl support?
>
> Thanks
> nambi

I've traditionally used the environment variables LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS. So the
last step of my build goes something like:

OPENSSL_INSTALL=/path/to/openssl
LDFLAGS=-L$OPENSSL_INSTALL/lib
CPPFLAGS=-I$OPENSSL_INSTALL/include
CFLAGS=-fPIC

export LDFLAGS CPPFLAGS CFLAGS

./configure --prefix=/path/to/svninstall --with-ssl

There is actually a bit more since I build everything so not sure if that will
work for you as is.

Sword Ciboodle Ltd (a company registered in Scotland with
registered number SC143434 and whose registered office is at
India of Inchinnan, Renfrewshire, UK, PA4 9LH) is part of the Sword
Group of companies.

This email (and any attachments) is intended for the named
recipient(s) and is private and confidential. If it is not for you, please
inform us and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient(s),
the use, disclosure, copying or distribution of any information
contained within this email is prohibited. Messages to and from us
may be monitored. If the content is not about the business of the
Sword Group then the message is neither from nor sanctioned by
us.

Internet communications are not secure. You should scan this
message and any attachments for viruses. Under no circumstances
do we accept liability for any loss or damage which may result from
your receipt of this email or any attachment.

Re: Compiling Subversion with SSL Support - not happening

Posted by Campbell Allan <ca...@ciboodle.com>.
On Monday 15 Dec 2008, Sankaran, Nambi wrote:
> Hi Stefen
>
> This is what I did,
>
> 1. downloaded suberversion-1.5.4.tar.gz
> 2. unzipped the file
> 3. downloaded subversion-deps-1.5.4.tar.gz
> 4. unzipped this tar file in the same directory, where subversion is
> unzipped
> 5. deleted "serf" directory
> 6. ran the following "configure" command
>    ./configure
> 	--prefix=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/subversion/1.5.4/
>
> 	--without-apxs
> 	--with-ssl
>
> --with-libs=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i/
>
> --includedir=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i/includ
> 	--disable-shared
> This resutls in this error,
>
> config.status: creating subversion/svn_private_config.h
> config.status: subversion/svn_private_config.h is unchanged
> config.status: executing mkdir-init commands
> configure: WARNING: Unrecognized options: --with-libs
> configure: WARNING: we have configured without BDB filesystem support
>

> I have attached the log files.
>
> What is the right way to build svn with openssl support?
>
> Thanks
> nambi

I've traditionally used the environment variables LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS. So the
last step of my build goes something like:

OPENSSL_INSTALL=/path/to/openssl
LDFLAGS=-L$OPENSSL_INSTALL/lib
CPPFLAGS=-I$OPENSSL_INSTALL/include
CFLAGS=-fPIC

export LDFLAGS CPPFLAGS CFLAGS

./configure --prefix=/path/to/svninstall --with-ssl

There is actually a bit more since I build everything so not sure if that will
work for you as is.

Sword Ciboodle Ltd (a company registered in Scotland with
registered number SC143434 and whose registered office is at
India of Inchinnan, Renfrewshire, UK, PA4 9LH) is part of the Sword
Group of companies.

This email (and any attachments) is intended for the named
recipient(s) and is private and confidential. If it is not for you, please
inform us and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient(s),
the use, disclosure, copying or distribution of any information
contained within this email is prohibited. Messages to and from us
may be monitored. If the content is not about the business of the
Sword Group then the message is neither from nor sanctioned by
us.

Internet communications are not secure. You should scan this
message and any attachments for viruses. Under no circumstances
do we accept liability for any loss or damage which may result from
your receipt of this email or any attachment.

RE: Re: Compiling Subversion with SSL Support - not happening

Posted by po...@tigris.org.
Hi Stefan, Allan

Thanks for your help.
The following sequence of steps worked.
( All the dependent libraries must by built as static libraries)

1. built apr-1.3.3 as static library
   /ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/apr/1.3.3/lib

2. build apr-util-1.3.4 as static library
   /ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/apr-util/1.3.4/lib

3. build openssl-0.9.8i as static library
	./config  no-shared --prefix=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i
	make
	make install

4. build neon-0.28.3 as static library

	./configure
	--prefix=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/neon/0.28.3
	--with-ssl=openssl
	--with-libs=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i
	--disable-shared

	make
	make install

5. build subversion 1.5.4 with --disable-shared option

    export OPENSSL_DIR=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i/
    export LDFLAGS=-L$OPENSSL_DIR/lib
    export CPPFLAGS=-I$OPENSSL_DIR/include
    export CFLAGS=-fPIC

   ./configure
	--prefix=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/subversion/1.5.4
	--without-apxs
	--disable-shared
	--with-neon=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/neon/0.28.3/
	--with-apr=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/apr/1.3.3
	--with-apr-util=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/apr-util/1.3.4

	make
	make install

This method builds "svn" that statically binds to openssl.
This took quite a while to figure out.
I hope this information is useful to others who are trying to build "svn with openssl support"

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by "Sankaran, Nambi" <ns...@ebay.com>.
Hi Stefan

Thanks for looking into this issue.

I do have openssl in the system

$ls -l /ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i/
total 16
drwxrwxr-x    2 automan  automan      4096 Dec  3 09:51 bin
drwxrwxr-x    5 automan  automan      4096 Dec  5 19:00 include
drwxrwxr-x    4 automan  automan      4096 Dec  3 09:51 lib
drwxrwxr-x    6 automan  automan      4096 Dec  3 09:51 openssl

$ls -l /ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i/lib
total 3976
drwxrwxr-x    2 automan  automan      4096 Dec  3 09:51 engines
-rw-r--r--    1 automan  automan   2066688 Dec  3 09:51 libcrypto.a
lrwxrwxrwx    1 automan  automan        18 Dec  3 09:51 libcrypto.so ->
libcrypto.so.0.9.8
-r-xr-xr-x    1 automan  automan   1340071 Dec  3 09:51
libcrypto.so.0.9.8
-rw-r--r--    1 automan  automan    363360 Dec  3 09:51 libssl.a
lrwxrwxrwx    1 automan  automan        15 Dec  3 09:51 libssl.so ->
libssl.so.0.9.8
-r-xr-xr-x    1 automan  automan    266769 Dec  3 09:51 libssl.so.0.9.8
drwxrwxr-x    2 automan  automan      4096 Dec  2 16:53 pkgconfig

Following your suggestion I tried the following "configure" command

$./configure
	--prefix=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/subversion/1.5.4/

	--without-apxs
	--with-ssl

--with-libs=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i/

--includedir=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i/includ
	--disable-shared

checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking openssl/opensslv.h usability... no
checking openssl/opensslv.h presence... no
checking for openssl/opensslv.h... no
configure: error: We require OpenSSL; try --with-openssl
configure failed for serf

Since, the error message is "try --with-openssl", I tried the following
command

./configure
	--prefix=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/subversion/1.5.4/

	--without-apxs

--with-openssl=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i/

--with-libs=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i/

--includedir=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i/includ
	--disable-shared

config.status: subversion/svn_private_config.h is unchanged
config.status: executing mkdir-init commands
configure: WARNING: Unrecognized options: --with-openssl, --with-libs
configure: WARNING: we have configured without BDB filesystem support

I have attached the config log files.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:44:54PM -0800, Sankaran, Nambi wrote:
> Stefen
>
> I have attached the subversion and neon config log files.

Hi,

the failing bit is this:

configure:27782: gcc -o conftest -g -O2  -I/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i/lib//include  -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -DNE_LFS  -L/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i/lib//lib  conftest.c  -lcrypto -ldl  -lz >&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcrypto
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:27788: $? = 1

Please run something like

 $ find /ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl -name '*crypto*'

to locate the libcrypto library.

Note that you pass this directory as library search path:

  -L/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i/lib//lib
                                                         ^^^^^^^^
Note that double "lib". That looks wrong.
Does the directory .../openssl/0.9.8i/lib/lib actually exist?

Maybe that should be
  -L/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i/lib

This also looks wrong:

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by "Sankaran, Nambi" <ns...@ebay.com>.
Stefen

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 03:13:13PM -0800, Sankaran, Nambi wrote:
> Static linking results in error,
>
> $./configure
> 	--prefix=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/subversion/1.5.4/
>
> 	--without-apxs
> 	--with-ssl
>
> --with-libs=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i/lib/
>
> --includedir=/ebay/software/pkgs/linux/2.4.21/i686/openssl/0.9.8i/includ
> 	--disable-shared
> checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
> checking for openssl pkg-config data... no
> checking for library containing RSA_new... not found
> configure: error: could not find library containing RSA_new
> configure failed for neon
>

> The openssl package contains libssl and libcrytpto libraries.
>

> $cd /openssl/0.9.8i/lib
>
> $nm -s libssl.a |grep RSA_new
>          U RSA_new
>
> $nm -s libcrypto.a |grep RSA_new
> RSA_new in rsa_lib.o
> RSA_new_method in rsa_lib.o
> 00000000 T RSA_new
> 000000dc T RSA_new_method
>          U RSA_new
>          U RSA_new
>          U RSA_new

No idea why this fails, really.

Check the config.log file for the exact command executed by the
configure script and error message by the compiler during the
"checking for library containing RSA_new..." step.
Maybe the neon configure script has a bug and does not pass -lcrypto?
Which neon version are you trying to build?

Attached is a Makefile I use to compile my own Subversion builds (for
development of Subversion, not for real installations). Maybe you can
squeeze some information out of it.

Stefan

RE: Compiling Subversion with SSL Support - not happening

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 11:09:01AM -0800, Sankaran, Nambi wrote:

>    Hello Folks
>

>    I am trying to build subversion using the source tarball in linux.
>
>    The build succeeds, but it is not linked with openssl correctly
>
>    ./svn: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot
>    open shared object file: No such file or directory

What does 'ldd svn' print?
Does this file actually exist on your system? If so, where?
Can you play with LD_LIBRARY_PATH to make it find the library?
Do you have multiple SSL libraries installed and are they getting
mixed up during the build?

Make sure neon is linked with ssl, i.e. pass --with-ssl to the neon
configure script when installing neon.

>    Does anyone attempted to build svn + apr +  apr-util  + neon + openssl
>    ?

Yes, I do this nearly every day, and it works fine for me
(and quite possibly not only for me :)

Note that I compile both neon and svn with --disable-shared to
avoid shared library headaches. But you won't be able to compile
mod_dav_svn if you do this.

Stefan

Re: Compiling Subversion with SSL Support - not happening

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.