Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Violeta Georgieva <vi...@apache.org> on 2012/01/20 14:03:42 UTC

Caching of protected static content with Expires header: Expires Thu, 01 Jan 1970 03:00:00 EET?

Hi,

If the static content is not protected then by default it is cached and the
corresponding headers are set - see screenshot1 & screenshot2.
but when I put it as protected content the following headers are set:
Cache-control:private and Expires header: Expires Thu, 01 Jan 1970 03:00:00
EET - see screenshot3 & screenshot4
My question is why the expires header is set with this value? Doesn't this
prevent caching?

I'm running Tomcat 7.0.23

Thanks in advance
Regards
Violeta

Re: Caching of protected static content with Expires header: Expires Thu, 01 Jan 1970 03:00:00 EET?

Posted by Francis GALIEGUE <fg...@one2team.com>.
On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 14:03, Violeta Georgieva <vi...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If the static content is not protected then by default it is cached and the
> corresponding headers are set - see screenshot1 & screenshot2.
> but when I put it as protected content the following headers are set:
> Cache-control:private and Expires header: Expires Thu, 01 Jan 1970 03:00:00
> EET - see screenshot3 & screenshot4
> My question is why the expires header is set with this value? Doesn't this
> prevent caching?
>
> I'm running Tomcat 7.0.23

I take it you are using Tomcat's caching directives, so...

Show us the relevant portions of the configuration file.

--
Francis Galiegue
ONE2TEAM