Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net> on 2006/05/09 23:41:54 UTC

Startup messages with URLs

During Geronimo startup we print out all of the URLs for the web
applications that are started.   For example:

   Web Applications:
     http://127.0.0.1:8080/
     http://127.0.0.1:8080/admin
     http://127.0.0.1:8080/none

I'm working with the customer that is creating multiple connectors.
They are questioning why the URLs only display for one of the connectors
(and it appears to be random which connector is used).

Is there a reason that we don't show the context path listed under each
possible connector?

StartupMonitorUtil currently queries each web module GBean for a
"URLFor" attribute which is implemented in either TomcatWebAppContext or
  JettyWebAppContext depending upon the container.  In that code we
currently prefer to return the first connector that supports the HTTP
protocol.  If none are present we then prefer the HTTPS and finally AJP.
  However, we only return one URL for this query.

Would it be helpful if I add a new collection attribute (URLsFor?) and
query this attribute during startup so that we can print all possible
URLs for the application or do you think this would be confusing?

Joe

--
Joe Bohn
joe.bohn at earthlink.net

lose."   -- Jim Elliot

Re: Startup messages with URLs

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Yes, the customer has multiple HTTP connectors.

By "random" I mean that the customers gets different results than I get.
  When I run the scenario I always see the first connector that was
deployed listed for the applications.   When the customer runs the
scenario they see the port for the last connector that was deployed in
the URL.   However, I believe that once a connector for a particular
protocol is selected it is consistent for all applications listed at
startup.  In other words, if there are two HTTP connectors defined (say
8080 and 8090) then all applications are listed under just one of the
connectors and not a mixture between the two (or at least that has been
my experience and the code seems to back this up).

I think it would be good if we could make this predictable in some way.
   Using the numeric value is certainly one.  Using the deployment order
of the connectors is another that I think is just as valid.

Joe

--
Joe Bohn
joe.bohn at earthlink.net