Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mohan2005 <mo...@roomsnet.com> on 2008/01/02 18:04:17 UTC

clarification of server.xml settings for AJP 1.3 Thread Limit

Greetings All

Happy New Year 2008!!

Question 01

on jboss side server.xml file, we wish to increase the maximum THREAD count
for the AJP 1.3 connector port 8009; (Default is 200)

Which parameter is used to do this ?

Question 02

Recently we have made our jboss servers j2ee compliant, earlier it was not.
Earlier we used the Apache front end to render all static pages such as
image files, php files etc...

Now we cannot do that,  AS FAR AS WE KNOW, as j2ee does not allow it. So we
render everything from the jboss servers.

This has taxed our jboss servers and Apache is basically idle only doing
mod_jk load balancing while un-mounting all jpeg, gif, etc... files.

Is there a way we can have J2EE and have ONLY Apache render these static
pages ?

Thanks in Advance
Reg
mohan

RE: clarification of server.xml settings for AJP 1.3 Thread Limit

Posted by Mohan2005 <mo...@roomsnet.com>.
Thanks David,
yes we experimented with JKumount in apache config, and it works fine.
the issue was we had a lot of paths to be set, but were able to get away
with the * character.
may be the issue of sending all that static page traffic over the AJP13
(mod_jk) AKA load-balancer was the imminent small packet size of the
protocol. also although we suspected the thread limitation was a issue, we
did not come across seeing a large number of threads opening at the same
time. does this make sense ?
ajp is meant to server small java scripts and jsp pages ?

thanks all for your help.
regards
mohan

Posted by David Cassidy <da...@twocats.co.uk>.
Mohan,

Posted by Mohan2005 <mo...@roomsnet.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Mohan2005 <mo...@roomsnet.com>.
Thank you very much.
We will try this, and inquire further if we run into complications.

On Question Once;
To increase maximum thread limit for AJP 1.3 on jboss's server.xml

Is it MaxThreads or MaxProcessors please ?

Thanks and Regards
Mohan

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Mohan2005 schrieb:
> Question 02
>
> Recently we have made our jboss servers j2ee compliant, earlier it was not.
> Earlier we used the Apache front end to render all static pages such as
> image files, php files etc...
>
> Now we cannot do that,  AS FAR AS WE KNOW, as j2ee does not allow it. So we
> render everything from the jboss servers.
>
> This has taxed our jboss servers and Apache is basically idle only doing
> mod_jk load balancing while un-mounting all jpeg, gif, etc... files.
>
> Is there a way we can have J2EE and have ONLY Apache render these static
> pages ?

If you can describe in terms of URL prefixes and/or suffixes, which URLs
belong to static content, you can do that by deploying a copy of the
static content on the web server and using corresponding URL patterns in
JkMount and JkUnMount.

> Thanks in Advance
> Reg
> mohan