Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2008/04/29 12:08:30 UTC

Re: federated build, classlib build - what am I doing wrong

In message <f9...@mail.gmail.com>,
"Alexey Varlamov" writes:

> 2008/4/29, Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>:
> > On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 6:11 AM, Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello, Nathan,
> > > Your sequence is a pretty robust one. I believe that things are enough
> >

> > Apparently not, since it fails to work. :)
>
> I recall we chewed this theme few months ago but nothing has changed
> since then.  As long as you do full build of classlib, hythread native
> library is rebuilt (even if you did not touch relevant sources) and
> replaces drlvm's one (in deploy/jdk/jre/bin) thus drlvm fails.

I think the correct solution to this part of the problem would be to use
an API that allows a Harmony VM to provide it's own thread library and
drop the thread library from Harmony Classlib.  Something *exactly* like
the -Dhy.no.thr=true mode:

> Alexei does only partial build and it works unless includes hythread.
> But I wonder why classlib natives are rebuilt each time.

I was wondering about this the other day.  The main issue is that
the build-native.xml ignores the build.module option.  Due to the
dependencies it is more difficult to implement but I think something
might be done to improve things a little.

-Mark.