Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Piotr Nowojski <pi...@data-artisans.com> on 2018/05/03 14:49:00 UTC

Re: intentional back-pressure (or a poor man's side-input)

Maybe it could work with Flink’s 1.5 credit base flow control. But you would need a way to express state “block one input side of the CoProcessFunction”, pass this information up to the input gate and handle it probably similar to how `org.apache.flink.streaming.runtime.io.CachedBufferBlocker` blocks inputs in case of checkpoint barrier. You can not just block inside `processElement1` method.

However I haven’t thought it through and maybe there could be some issues regarding checkpointing (what should happen to checkpoint barriers if you are blocking one side of the input? Should this block checkpoint barrier as well? Should you cancel checkpoint?).

Piotrek

Posted by Piotr Nowojski <pi...@data-artisans.com>.
> running a batch or "bounded stream" job first to generate a "cache state", and then launching the main streaming job, which loads this initial state load in open()... not sure how to work out the keying.

This is the recommended workaround this issue - first start a job to precompute some values for an initial state and then pass those values to the main job as (for example) a startup argument. I think for now it’s the cleanest and the easiest to maintain solution. If initial state is too large, you could imagine saving it on a DFS and loading it in initialise phase of the main job.

Piotrek