Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org> on 2005/04/04 17:35:05 UTC

John Sisson - new Apache Geronimo committer

Dear John,

The Apache Geronimo PMC has voted to offer you commit status on the
Apache Geronimo project.

Thank you for your participation so far in the project, and we all are
excited to have you as a committer.

Please let us know if you wish to accept this offer.

If you accept, we need the following :

0) your preferred username (sissonj?, jsisson?) for
    your apache account and email address

1) You need to sign an Individual Contributor License
    Agreement, found here :

   http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
   http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.pdf

   (PDF looks nicer)

   This document is required for commit access.  Please
   fax that to the FAX # found on the form.  You have a
   chance of things going faster if you ALSO fax to
   +1-203-665-6400.

2) If possible, get your employer to sign a Corporate
    Contributor License Agreement, found here :

    http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt

    This is optional, but encouraged.  This document shows
    that your employer knows and accepts that you are
    contributing to the project.  There are lots of good
    reasons to get this done if you can.

Congratulations!

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: John Sisson - new Apache Geronimo committer

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
Welcome
--
Jeremy

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Dear John,
>
> The Apache Geronimo PMC has voted to offer you commit status on the
> Apache Geronimo project.
>
> Thank you for your participation so far in the project, and we all are
> excited to have you as a committer.

Welcome on board, John! And finally keep posting bugs, but fix'em! ;)

> geir

Jacek

Re: John Sisson - new Apache Geronimo committer

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.
On Apr 6, 2005, at 12:38 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> This fascinates me...do people actually have to get permission to
> become a committer or member of the ASF?

Depends on your situation.

Many employers in the US have as part of the employment agreement terms
that establish ownership of development work you do.  The terms of this
vary by company.

So we offer the CCLA as a vehicle in which the committer can get
explicit permission from his/her employer, as a way of protecting that
committer from their employer taking issue with it later.  It's never
good to just go on a "wink and a nod" from a manager, if that manager
many not be around later...

geir

geir@gluecode.com

Re: John Sisson - new Apache Geronimo committer

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday 06 April 2005 23:38, Jeff Genender wrote:

> This fascinates me...do people actually have to get permission to become
> a committer or member of the ASF?

Well, over on legal-discuss@ this has recently been debated, and my impression
is;
 *  In Europe, whatever you do on your spare time is your business, as long
    as you don't utilize company resources (space, computers, bandwidth...)

 *  In USA, your butt belongs to the company 24/7, and any output from you
    and your brain can potentially be claimed by the employer (some even
    suggesting the fish you caught on a vacation.)

 *  Rest of the World, murky at best.

ASF is just trying to make sure that an employer doesn't claim IP rights
later.

Cheers
Niclas

Re: John Sisson - new Apache Geronimo committer

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

--
Jeff Genender
http://geronimo.apache.org

Re: John Sisson - new Apache Geronimo committer

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.
On Apr 5, 2005, at 8:56 PM, sissonj@insession.com wrote:

> Thanks everyone!
>
> I would like to accept and I am waiting for approval from corporate
> legal.

BTW, if you need any help explaining or discussing, let us know.  We've
been through this before with other companies.

geir

geir@gluecode.com

Re: John Sisson - new Apache Geronimo committer

Posted by si...@insession.com.
Geir,

Sorry for the delay.

I am still waiting for our legal department to get back to me, I think
they are quite busy at the moment.

Regards,

John

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
John,

Any news?

geir

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.
On Apr 5, 2005, at 8:56 PM, sissonj@insession.com wrote:

> Thanks everyone!
>
> I would like to accept and I am waiting for approval from corporate
> legal.

Heh.

geir

geir@gluecode.com

Re: John Sisson - new Apache Geronimo committer

Posted by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>.
On 6/04/2005 10:56 AM, sissonj@insession.com wrote:

>Thanks everyone!
>
>I would like to accept and I am waiting for approval from corporate legal.
>
>Regards,
>
>John

Congratulations John!

Gianny

[...]

Hi Geir,

Sorry for the delay,  I accept the offer and have faxed the Individual
Contributor License Agreement to both fax numbers.

My preferred username is jsisson.

Regards,

John Sisson