Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com> on 2006/08/17 23:52:50 UTC

Committing file and directory moves

Is there any sort of rule-of-thumb for when/how often to commit?  I
have a project - just starting with Subversion - in which I want to
import the current code base and then do a pretty significant
reorganization of the code.  I want the original code base to start so
that future maintenance can be done against the Subversion repository
rather than VSS, our current source control application.

I've now tried this twice and have ended up having to blow up the
entire repository and start over because of one error or another.  It
seems like Subversion gets confused when too much is going on?  Is
that possible?  I was trying to work such that, at any given moment,
the branch I was working was "stable" with each commit.

How do others work?  Do you care whether the trunk or branch you're
working on is stable from commit to commit?  Any best practice insight
would be appreciated.  I've learned a lot in my mistakes, but I'm
tired of redoing my work. :-)

Thanks.

--

Rob Wilkerson

Re: Committing file and directory moves

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
On Aug 17, 2006, at 4:52 PM, Rob Wilkerson wrote:

> Is there any sort of rule-of-thumb for when/how often to commit?  I
> have a project - just starting with Subversion - in which I want to
> import the current code base and then do a pretty significant
> reorganization of the code.  I want the original code base to start so
> that future maintenance can be done against the Subversion repository
> rather than VSS, our current source control application.

I commit after every logical change that keeps the code working.

> I've now tried this twice and have ended up having to blow up the
> entire repository and start over because of one error or another.  It
> seems like Subversion gets confused when too much is going on?  Is
> that possible?  I was trying to work such that, at any given moment,
> the branch I was working was "stable" with each commit.

No.  Look at the kde and the Apache svn repositories:

http://websvn.kde.org/
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/

They have 574,000+ and 432,000 revisions respectively.

> How do others work?  Do you care whether the trunk or branch you're
> working on is stable from commit to commit?  Any best practice insight
> would be appreciated.  I've learned a lot in my mistakes, but I'm
> tired of redoing my work. :-)

Yes, I do that.  You can also use continous integration tools to
ensure that each commit keeps the code in shape that passes all the
test suites.

Regards,
Blair

--