Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jg...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/20 11:28:16 UTC

[M2] Docbook support

Hi there,

In the announcement docbook support is mentioned, but I haven't been
able to find anything about it in the docs. I've also found some
thread talking about docbook support in Doxia, but its web says
nothing about it. Finally the plugin matrix mentions a docbook plugin
that seems to be M2 ready... what's the situation?

By the way, congrats for the 2.0 release!!!

Thanks in advance, best regards
Jose

Re: [M2] Docbook support

Posted by Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@codehaus.org>.
On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 23:56 +0200, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:
> We have a patch to apply (DOXIA-20). It will be a good start for everyone.

The patch has been applied.

--
Trygve

Re: [M2] Docbook support

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
We have a patch to apply (DOXIA-20). It will be a good start for everyone.

Emmanuel

Re: [M2] Docbook support

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.
I think you are right on.  +1

Re: [M2] Docbook support

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 17:12 +0200, Jose Gonzalez Gomez wrote:

> So I have the feeling that this is not the right approach... What I
> would probably do is drop the docbook support in Doxia (or keep it
> deliberately simple), as I see no reason to write a Maven site using
> Docbook: APT or HTML/XHTML are much more adequate to do that.

I think keeping the simple format would be fine.

> Any way, I think a plugin for managing Docbook files is needed, as I
> may want to generate project documentation in PDF format, JavaHelp
> files, whatever that doesn't go directly into the Maven site... this
> should be included in the build process of the project, as it's just
> another deliverable, or artifact in the Maven vocabulary. And this
> should be done using the Docbook stylesheets, as there is a lot of
> effort put into them, and they're proved and reliable. Also I don't
> think writing all this support into Doxia is neither sensible nor
> possible.
>
> What do you think about this?

If you want full blown docbook support then I think you are right in
that a separate plug-in would probably make more sense. I think we'd be
happy to host a docbook plug-in at the Mojo project:

http://mojo.codehaus.org

> Best regards
> Jose

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

Re: [M2] Docbook support

Posted by Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jg...@gmail.com>.

Re: [M2] Docbook support

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 09:35 +0200, Jose Gonzalez Gomez wrote:
> Brett,
>
> Do you mean docbook support in Doxia or are you talking about anything else?

He meant find a general approach that works. If it can be done in Doxia
that's great, otherwise you might need a separate tool.

> Jose
>
> 2005/10/24, Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>:
> > There seem to be a few people working on a the docbook support right
> > now. It would be good to see folks collaborating on a solution that
> > covers everyone's needs.
> >
> > - Brett

> > > I had a working docbook plugin for maven1 capable of generating HTML
> > > output based on standard stylesheets, with resolution of links between
> > > docbook documents. I'm thinking about porting it to maven2... I could
> > > release it as open source if there's enough interest.
> > >
> > > Thanks, best regards
> > > Jose

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

Re: [M2] Docbook support

Posted by Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jg...@gmail.com>.
Brett,

Re: [M2] Docbook support

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: [M2] Docbook support

Posted by Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jg...@gmail.com>.

Re: [M2] Docbook support

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more examples
you look at, the more general your framework will be.

  -- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks

Re: [M2] Docbook support

Posted by Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jg...@gmail.com>.
2005/10/21, Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>:

> Jose Gonzalez Gomez a écrit :

> >>I don't know. I never used docbook documents

> > I'm very interested in it, so If somebody has those 30 minutes to
> > expose it I would be willing to test it and share the result.
> >
> > I would also like the know if there is interest enough in adding this
> > support, as I had written a simple plugin for M1, and I've been
> > thinking in porting it to M2, but I wouldn't like to spend time on
> > reinventing the wheel if there is somebody already working on this.
>
> I added support of docbook document in site generation. If you want to try it, checkout m2
> trunk and bootstrap it.
> put your docbook documents in src/site/docbook
> I think docbook parser in doxia isn't finished but it's a start.

Thanks a lot, I'll try to take a look at it as soon as possible.
Anyway, I've been taking a look at the head revision of
org.codehaus.doxia.module.docbook.DocBookParser.java, and I doubt that
this parser is going to generate anything close to useful. I had the
feeling that this class was copied from some other parser (maybe the
xdoc parser, as indicated in the header comment): most of the tags
used there are not part of the Docbook format, and there are some
commonly used tags missing.

I understand that the main objective of having such a thing as Doxia
is to provide an homogeneous output so the whole site generated by
Maven has the same look, but taking this approach means that you have
to put a lot of restrictions on the input documents, or handle the
whole document and convert it to the (commonly) lower level of detail
used in the Maven output.

I'm not sure this is a good approach for Docbook: Docbook is a rich
format thought to cover the writing of a full blown book, and there is
a lot of effort put in the Docbook stylesheets, that are highly
customisable and lets you generate output in several formats. Using
Doxia you would either have to use just a little portion of its full
power, or duplicate a lot of effort writing a parser that is able to
handle the whole format and reduce it to the Maven format.

I mainly use Docbook to write RUP project documentation (requirements,
use cases and actor specifications, risk lists,...). I use Docbook
cause I can use almost WYSIWYG editors to create it, is control
version friendly and I have the possibility of generating a lot of
formats from Docbook. I'm lately thinking that integrating such a
documentation into a Maven site it isn't a good idea but I still need
some way to integrate this documentation and generation/publication in
a more user friendly format into the life cycle of the project. So
what I woud really need is a plugin that lets me generate HTML/XHTML
from Docbook using their standard stylesheets; include this in the
generated site, even with its own format; provide a link to access it
from the Maven site; and finally include the documentation in the
publication of the site...

Well, just a lot of loud thinking... I would like to hear oppinions on this.

Best regards
Jose

Re: [M2] Docbook support

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

RE: [M2] Docbook support

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.
Yes, we will use Maven's docbook support.

Re: [M2] Docbook support

Posted by Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jg...@gmail.com>.

Re: [M2] Docbook support

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Re: [M2] Docbook support

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 11:28 +0200, Jose Gonzalez Gomez wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> In the announcement docbook support is mentioned, but I haven't been
> able to find anything about it in the docs. I've also found some
> thread talking about docbook support in Doxia, but its web says
> nothing about it. Finally the plugin matrix mentions a docbook plugin
> that seems to be M2 ready... what's the situation?

Docbook is supported by Doxia but we haven't tested it very thoroughly.
Emm, is docbook working?

The support is in Doxia for sure which is the hard part. If we have to
expose it that would only take 30 minutes.

> By the way, congrats for the 2.0 release!!!
>
> Thanks in advance, best regards
> Jose

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.

  -- Shakespeare