Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> on 2012/11/01 23:50:31 UTC

[DISCUSS] Apache Rave 0.17 Release Candidate

Discussion thread for vote on 0.17 release candidate.

For more information on the release process, checkout -
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html

Some of the things to check before voting are:
- can you run the demo binaries
- can you build the contents of source-release.zip and svn tag
- do all of the staged jars/zips contain the required LICENSE and NOTICE files
- are all of the staged artifacts signed and the signature verifiable
- is the signing key in the project's KEYS file and on a public server

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Rave 0.17 Release Candidate

Posted by Jasha Joachimsthal <ja...@apache.org>.
On 3 November 2012 10:13, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:

> On 11/02/2012 07:06 PM, Jasha Joachimsthal wrote:
>
>> On 1 November 2012 23:50, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:
>>
>>  Discussion thread for vote on 0.17 release candidate.
>>>
>>> For more information on the release process, checkout -
>>> http://www.apache.org/dev/****release.html<http://www.apache.org/dev/**release.html>
>>> <http://www.**apache.org/dev/release.html<http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html>
>>> >

>>> Some of the things to check before voting are:
>>> - can you run the demo binaries
>>>
>>>  yes
>>
>>  - can you build the contents of source-release.zip and svn tag
>>>
>>>  yes
>>
>>  - do all of the staged jars/zips contain the required LICENSE and NOTICE
>>> files
>>>
>>>  yes
>>
>>  - are all of the staged artifacts signed and the signature verifiable
>>>

>> rave-portal-0.17.war contains a jar that is not the one from Maven
>> Central.
>> wookie-java-connector-0.10.0-**incubating.jar was built by you, probably
>> test its release.
>>
> Ah, good catch :)
>

>> Apparently I made a similar mistake with Rave 0.16.
>> shindig-common-2.5.0-beta3.jar in Rave 0.17 is from Maven central, the one
>> in Rave 0.16 was built by me. I thought I had built 0.16 against an empty
>> local repository, but apparently not. It also happened with the
>> wookie-java-connector in Rave 0.15 built by Matt.
>>
> Right, its an easy to overlook thing.
> I agree this isn't 'proper', but I don't think it is a big deal either.

In the manifest of the Shindig common jar I accidentally included from my
local repository in 0.16 it says I had built it with Java 7. This could be
an inconvenience for Java 6 users if the build plugin didn't target for
Java 6, but until now nobody has complained.

> Note that this concerns 'non-source' artifacts which we build and bundle
> as convenience for the community. These are *not* the release itself, which
> only is the sources tarball.

Okay in that case I'm okay with this release. If you're really customising
a Rave setup, it's better to build your own war instead of overlaying the
one we provide

> While I didn't intend to have my locally build version of wookie bundled
> up, it doesn't make much difference if you compare that with other 3rd
> party artifacts we bundle up likewise. Including many non-Apache 3rd party
> artifacts which were also build and released outside 'our' (Apache) release
> process.
>
> Who is verifying those other 3rd party artifacts contents and by whom they
> were build? Having as much as possible of these 3rd party artifacts coming
> from an official and *verifiable* Apache release definitely helps, and
> therefore bundling a locally (re)build of the wookie jar is less ideal. But
> as we still have, and probably always will have, many other 3rd party
> artifacts bundled up as well, it doesn't make much difference in the
> *assurance* level of these binaries.
>
> With regards to this specific wookie jar: you'll have to trust me I didn't
> 'hack' it to inject some nasty virus or likewise. Neither did I do such
> thing while building the rave sources ... To be sure though you would have
> to decompile both this wookie jar *and* all the rave jars as well, and try
> to verify them that way. Which should make clear that isn't the point.

Oof I almost thought you did something evil ;)

> What remains therefore, and what *is* important for the community, is that
> what we provide (as convenience) and release (as source) is properly signed
> and thus verifiable the same artifacts we voted upon.
> And this is why we say only the voted upon and signed *sources* constitute
> the release. Binaries are just provided for convenience and remains the
> responsibility of the end-user to verify and trust, or else better build
> themselves.
>
> Actually in Java/Maven land we have it quite easy: compare this with
> providing native builds, which might *require* the Release Manager to build
> many 3rd party sources locally first...
>
> In short: I don't think this really matter much, certainly not enough to
> cancel or redo a release for. Not would it be if it happens again in the
> future.
> But also: the more we use verifiable Apache or other 3rd party artifacts,
> the easier it is to verify and trust it, so we should strive for not making
> such accidental mistakes.

It's not a reason for a < 0 vote for me either, especially if the source
tarball is the only artifact that really mattrs. Just another wakeup call
that the Maven build process is not 100% reliable.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Jasha Joachimsthal <ja...@apache.org>.
On 1 November 2012 23:50, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:

> Discussion thread for vote on 0.17 release candidate.
>
> For more information on the release process, checkout -
> http://www.apache.org/dev/**release.html<http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html>
>
> Some of the things to check before voting are:
> - can you run the demo binaries

yes

> - can you build the contents of source-release.zip and svn tag

yes

> - do all of the staged jars/zips contain the required LICENSE and NOTICE
> files

yes