Posted to dev@asterixdb.apache.org by Yingyi Bu <bu...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/16 16:22:08 UTC

New cluster installation options

Hi dev,

     We recently added two cluster installation options and their
documentation is online now:

     Ansible: https://ci.apache.org/projects/asterixdb/ansible.html
     AWS: https://ci.apache.org/projects/asterixdb/aws.html

     With the Ansible option, you can deploy, start, stop, and erase an
AsterixDB cluster from your client with a simple shell scripts.
     With the AWS option, you can start/stop an AsterixDB cluster on AWS
with a simple shell scripts. The scripts automate both AWS and AsterixDB
setup.

     Managix is marked as "deprecated" and probably is going to retire
soon, as (1) it's not well maintained and (2) some of its functionalities
are already provided by existing tools such as Ansible. It was written at
the time when there're not many automation tools that we can rely on, which
is no longer the case now.

     Please share your thoughts and feedbacks.
     Thanks!

Best,
Yingyi

Re: New cluster installation options

Posted by Xikui <xi...@uci.edu>.
The library jars will be placed under asterix-installer-0.9.0-binary-assembly/clusters/local/working_dir/library directly.

I think UDF package itself will not be stored on each NCs. Only CC is aware of where the UDFs’ jars are. When CC start, it registers the UDFs with their class loaders [1] and provide the function instances when they are being called[2]. Maybe @abudullah can help to confirm this as well. :)

[1] org.apache.asterix.app.external.ExternalLibraryUtils#setUpExternaLibraries
[2] org.apache.asterix.external.library.ExternalFunction#ExternalFunction

Best,
Xikui

Posted by Taewoo Kim <wa...@gmail.com>.
@Gift, @Xikui: could you answer? :-)