Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Yoshiki Hayashi <yo...@xemacs.org> on 2002/04/23 12:11:06 UTC

What's the recommend version of Xalan and Xerces?

yoshiki@apache.org writes:

> yoshiki     02/04/23 03:01:38
>
>   Modified:    docs/manual/howto ssi.html.en
>                docs/manual/mod mod_cgi.html mod_cgi.xml
>                         mod_negotiation.html mod_negotiation.xml
>   Log:
>   s/.html.html/.html/

What is the recommended version of Xalan and Xerces?  I have
Xalan 1.2.2 and Xerces 1.4.3 installed from Debian unstable
package.  When I ran styles/build.sh to generate HTML from
XML docs, the diff was a bit larger than expected namely
because it reordered attributes like href and class.

Since the change itself was quite small, I hand-edited auto-
generated HTML files to reflect the change but I don't think
I want to do that for larger changes. :-)

--
Yoshiki Hayashi

Re: What's the recommend version of Xalan and Xerces?

Posted by Yoshiki Hayashi <yo...@xemacs.org>.
Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> writes:

> On 23 Apr 2002, Yoshiki Hayashi wrote:
> > What is the recommended version of Xalan and Xerces?  I have
> > Xalan 1.2.2 and Xerces 1.4.3 installed from Debian unstable
> > package.  When I ran styles/build.sh to generate HTML from
> > XML docs, the diff was a bit larger than expected namely
> > because it reordered attributes like href and class.

> I think that is because I used Xalan-C to generate the docs at one point,
> at it does the ordering differently from Xalan-J.

Thanks for this info.  I feared that I might be missing
something obvious which is not written in
docsformat.html. :-)

> But
> in general, I wouldn't worry about the size of the diffs.  Those are
> generated files; they are only in CVS for the convenience of the release
> manager.

I thought it would make reviewing a bit harder, but it will
be solved by as simple way as doing separate commit of
generated files.  I'll do it that way the next time I touch
module docs.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 23 Apr 2002, Yoshiki Hayashi wrote:
> What is the recommended version of Xalan and Xerces?  I have
> Xalan 1.2.2 and Xerces 1.4.3 installed from Debian unstable
> package.  When I ran styles/build.sh to generate HTML from
> XML docs, the diff was a bit larger than expected namely
> because it reordered attributes like href and class.
>
> Since the change itself was quite small, I hand-edited auto-
> generated HTML files to reflect the change but I don't think
> I want to do that for larger changes. :-)

I think that is because I used Xalan-C to generate the docs at one point,
at it does the ordering differently from Xalan-J.  Pretty irritating.  But
in general, I wouldn't worry about the size of the diffs.  Those are
generated files; they are only in CVS for the convenience of the release
manager.  If we can settle on a single transformer for everyone to use,
then the problem should go away.

Joshua.